Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Demarcation Markers

Amor

Hi,

Can any members recommend a definitive book or website as to the location and naming of the Demarcation Markers positioned in Belgium and France. Having spent an hour or so last night on-line I found multiple sites with contradicting information on the number, naming and location of the markers. I am planning to drive from the northern most marker in Nieuwpoort all the way south to location of most southern marker.

Rgds,

Alex

I too would like clarification on this topic. I have never fully understood the information about these. As you say much of the information appears contradictory. Of course it could be me.

Hi,

I guess you are talking about the "bornes Vauthier" set after the war on the Western Front to show the exact location of the frontline in July 1918 (2nd battle of the Marne). It was an idea of Paul Vauthier, a French sculptor. They are 118 of them, to my knowledge 22 are in Belgium and 96 in France. On each of them was a text in French saying "here were stopped the invaders in 1918...". Some of them have disappeared, others were damaged (the text was removed by the germans in WW2), some have been hidden by the locals...

Interestingly their location seem to be accurate.

Sly

Alex

There was a few years ago a good French web site which listed all the stones with location and photograph (where they still existed) unfortunately it either no longer exists or has moved. I did however make a copy and will happy send this to you if you PM me.

Tim B

One thing to be mentioned is that, very unusually for the time, each stone was sponsored. There is even one sponsored by the Rowing lub, Rio de Janeiro.

Unfortunately, the sponsors name is on the plinth and is often either covered by dirt and earth, or when the stone was set or reset, the cement covered the inscription.

However, if you go on the link at 5 to Meurthe-et-Moselle, you will find the stone in Bois-l-Pretre, and thesponsor details are clearly to be seen on that (the others are all covered up).

Holt's have a battlefield App available. It shows at least some of the demarcation stones.

Len

Hi,

Many thanks for all the replies. Especially with Tim's input I have mapped out more than 100 markers with their locations on approx. 670 km stretch from Niuewpoort to Altkirch.

Rgds,
Alex