Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private A Brown Northumberland Fusiliers - But Which One?

John Beech

Afternoon All

I have been sent a photo which appeared in the Nottingham Evening Post of 18th November 1914 showing Private A Brown of the Northumberland Fusiliers who had returned home wounded and was being treated at Plymouth. His home is listed as 36 Finkhill Street, Nottingham. Unfortunately the photo is too large to post.

The only NF Battalion in France in 1914 was 1st Battalion so he must have served with them. The 1914 Star roll shows two Private A Brown serving with the battalion in 1914 - 1497 Private Albert Robert Brown and 1518 Private Albert Brown. Their serial numbers give an enlistment date around July/August 1905 so both could have been regulars or recalled reservists.

1518 Private Albert Brown was killed on 12th March 1915 and is commemorated on Ploegsteert Memorial. He was wounded on 8th November 1914 at Herenthage Chateau. He served with both 1st and 2nd Battalion, and was with 2nd Battalion when he was killed. Its possible he is the man in the photo as he could have transferred to 2nd Battalion after recovering from his wound. Unfortunately, there are no personal details on CWGC, but SDGW shows he was born and enlisted in Nottingham. There is a Private A Brown listed on the 1911 Census who was born in Nottingham and was then serving with 1st Battalion in India. His age is given as 23 giving a birth date of 1888. I have also found a birth entry in second quarter of 1888 in Nottingham. However, there are several Albert Brown living in Nottingham born around this time and I cannot be certain the photo is him. As I also cannot be certain as to who his parents are, I cannot find a Brown living at Finkhill Street in 1911, although he was in India himself at the time.

You would think that the circumstantial evidence points to it being the above Albert Brown, but the reason for my doubts are that I cannot find an Albert Robert Brown. The only information I have is from his MiC which confirms that he deserted on 7th December 1914! and that no medals were issued.

Does anyone know of this Albert Robert Brown so I can discount him?

Regards

John

Interesting as I have him as;- 1497 Pte Arthur Robert Brown, 1st Bn, N.F. - I don't have an address for him, but know he was admitted to 3rd C.C.S. on the 12th November 1914 with a G.S.W. to the left arm and then admitted to Base Hospital on the 13th November 1914. It appears that he deserts on the 7th December 1914 and he is also recorded as wounded in the February 1915 edition of St.Georges Gazette.

Hi Graham

Hoped i'd elicit a response. The number for the wounded Albert Brown is given as 1518 in both the War Diary and Devil' Carnival. This is the same Albert Brown killed in 1915. It does appear wires have been crossed somewhere! It is definitely the 1497 Private Brown who deserted as it is listed on his MIC and Medal Roll. He is listed as A Brown on his MIC but there is a note indicating his initials have been confirmed as A R hence Albert Robert. It is listed as Albert Robert on the Medal Roll. I think he is probably listed wrongly in November as a casualty - it being 1518 Albert Brown who was wounded.

I have re-gone through the War Diary immediately prior to November 12th when A Brown was admitted to 3rd CCS and the only A Brown listed as a casualty is 1518 which appears to support the above.

It also raises the question of where was 1497 Albert Robert Brown when he deserted, as the battalion were in the line at Wytschaete on 7th December, arriving on the evening of the 6th and staying until the 9th and what were the consequences? There appears to be no mention of his being missing in the War Diary or as a casualty

Regards

John

Hi Graham

Hoped i'd elicit a response. The number for the wounded Albert Brown is given as 1518 in both the War Diary and Devil' Carnival. This is the same Albert Brown killed in 1915. It does appear wires have been crossed somewhere! It is definitely the 1497 Private Brown who deserted as it is listed on his MIC and Medal Roll. He is listed as A Brown on his MIC but there is a note indicating his initials have been confirmed as A R hence Albert Robert. It is listed as Albert Robert on the Medal Roll. I think he is probably listed wrongly in November as a casualty - it being 1518 Albert Brown who was wounded.

I have re-gone through the War Diary immediately prior to November 12th when A Brown was admitted to 3rd CCS and the only A Brown listed as a casualty is 1518 which appears to support the above.

It also raises the question of where was 1497 Albert Robert Brown when he deserted, as the battalion were in the line at Wytschaete on 7th December, arriving on the evening of the 6th and staying until the 9th and what were the consequences? There appears to be no mention of his being missing in the War Diary or as a casualty

Regards

John

One of my sources for 1497 Pte Arthur Robert Brown was a 3rd C.C.S. return, which I'm sure is somewhere on my computer, if not erased.

Also check this link, you'll find he had two MIC's;-

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=&_ln=&_no=1497&_crp=Northumberland+Fusiliers&_ttl=&_cr1=WO+372&_dt=M&_col=200&_hb=tna&image1.x=48&image1.y=10

Have just checked on Ancestry and the MIC was indeed amended to 1497 Pte "Arthur Robert" Brown.

post-7376-0-97621400-1414971674_thumb.jp

Just to confirm my last finding.

Hi Graham

We were thinking along the same lines! I have attached his other card. Must apologise as reread Medal Roll and 1497 IS Arthur Robert - my mistake. Still cannot find any reference to his being wounded though so if you do find 3rd CCS reference I would be grateful to see it.

Otherwise, I will assume that only 1517 Albert Brown was wounded pre 12th November and by default this makes the photo him.

It is too big to post but if you would like a copy of the photo and some other bits and pieces from the Nottingham Evening Post relating to 1st Battalion men including several photos just PM me an appropriate email address

Regards

John

post-18807-0-83107700-1414998437_thumb.j