Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding out details of unknown burials in cemeteries

KIRKY

Trying to establish number of unknowns in Cemeteries in particular looking at soldiers killed but no known burial but a chance they are in an unknown or regiment only known burial, can this information be gleaned for CWGC site?

Tony

Tony,

It can be done, but depending on how big the cemetery is, it can be long winded.

I managed to put together an in depth study of Ramparts Cemetery (Lille Gate) by collating the GRR Forms. Where identifying every grave will fall down, is if there are a large number of unknowns, whereby there are no knowns on that particular sheet.

If you are just looking for overall figures for each cemetery, the CWGC cemetery page usually lists the total number of burials and number of identified.

Phil

Trying to establish number of unknowns in Cemeteries in particular looking at soldiers killed but no known burial but a chance they are in an unknown or regiment only known burial, can this information be gleaned for CWGC site?

... Where identifying every grave will fall down, is if there are a large number of unknowns, whereby there are no knowns on that particular sheet. ...

Tony - The first answer highlights the problem you are most likely to encounter. I have previously raised this with the Commission and as with so many problems there is a work-round. We'll have to have a chat in your favourite watering hole :thumbsup:

Tom

a little bit of the point, for ww2 come across six airmen buried in one cemetery, 5 known one unknown. 6 man crew all killed, no hint from cwgc that this could be the grave of the final airman, just was not 100% identified

I have a similar query, my Grt Grandfather died 1st Aug 1917, Third Battle of Ypres, he is mentioned on the Menin Gate., so no known grave.

At Zandvoorde British Cemetery , according to the Graves registration report form and burial return, there are four burials of 17th Battalion The King's (Liverpool Regiment) all died 1st Aug 1917, Plot 3 Row "J", two of the graves are known Soldiers and two are unknown. This information I got from the CWGC. I would love to know if one of the two unknown burials is my Grt Grandfather.

I have a similar query, my Grt Grandfather died 1st Aug 1917, Third Battle of Ypres, he is mentioned on the Menin Gate., so no known grave.

According to Soldiers Died in the Great War, 17/KLR had nine fatalities that day. It would be easy for you to cross reference them to the CWGC database to see how many of them have known graves.

Tom , look forward to that!

Diane , have cleared out old messages!

Thanks to everyone else!

Tony