Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red" art installation - keep until N

rclarke

Dear All

For better or worse, I have launched the above petition which I would be very grateful if like-minded forum members might take a few minutes to sign.

I was very surprised to learn that such a dramatic, labour-intensive and poignant work should be such a short-term display and really feel it should be kept in place for as long as possible, allowing anybody who wishes to view it a safe, uncluttered opportunity to do so and pay respects.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/blood-swept-lands-and-seas-of-red-until-11-november-2018

Although I have no illusions about success, I do hope others may agree to sign.

Thank you.

Rosemary Clarke

As one of those who have purchased poppies I must oppose this. I expect poppies which are in reasonable condition without having been exposed to the elements for four years. Perhaps a small patch could be laid as a permanent field of remembrance.

Nigel

The theme of the installation is "Tower of London Remembers ... 1914-2014". Not 1914-2018.

Furthermore, keeping such a complex and extensive installation clean and presentable for four years, through all that the weather can throw at It, would be a major and expensive undertaking, probably requiring periodic de-mounting and replacement. The point made by Nigel at Post #2 is the clincher. I will not support this.

Rosemary,

I think the key element of this as a piece of 'art' is the actual creation of it, over a period of weeks - the tide of losses growing day by day - not the finished sea of poppies. This was never intended as a fixed display for the period - if it had been, then perhaps they would have tried to replicate the growth of losses over the four years (and been very very busy on a few select days), but they didn't, it is a piece of art as imagined by the artist.

As for it being a 'short term' display, it has been there for many weeks, changing and growing, and seen by tens of thousands, so think it has more than achieved its aim.

James

Sorry Rosemary, I will not be supporting this as I am in agreement with the previous posts.

Anne

I believe around 4 million have viewed the installation so far. I don't think the artist, or indeed anyone else, thought for one moment that the installation would create so much interest (or the visitors cause so much havoc!). I for one am pleased so many people have taken such an interest and visited.

Why would it be interesting to see what happens next weekend? We shall be visiting on Sunday and Monday, so would love to know.

I too would not back your petition (although I take on board your statement above that you are withdrawing it). We bought poppies on the understanding they would be posted out quite soon after Armistice Day, not four years later. I'm sure your intentions were good though.

Next weekend will be interesting because it is remembrance weekend; I would have thought those many people visiting or involved with the Festival of Remembrance and The Cenotaph marchpast, might also have it in mind to visit. That is quite a lot of people.

I understand the feelings of those lucky enough to have purchased poppies.

The popularity of the installation has been underestimated, though I cannot see why a 'flood' of blood from and around the tower building would not have been recognised as significant and potentially moving by those involved and therefore incredibly popular.

I wish the idea has been further developed by starting with a few poppies this year and gradually increasing the quantity over the years, to the final number in 2018, to be dismantled after 11 November..I realise this would have involved an enormous amount of work.

I hope those people who have contributed to the great sum raised for service charities by buying one of these beautiful poppies are able to place them as they wish.

Rosemary

I was chatting to one of the many volunteers working in the moat the other day. He said that the organisers hadn't realised quite how long this was going to take. Or how many would come to view. Due to back breaking work and putting in a lot of "overtime", the display will be ready for Armistice Day. The Tower groundsman are panicking though, grass is already growing up between the poppies! I hate to think what it would look like in four years?!?!

I was there on Wednesday with my daughter. Staff from London Underground or at least representing them, were stationed along the pathway that runs parallel to the moat telling everyone they were not allowed down there, the path was for access to the tube only. This was palpable nonsense as the path also leads to a small park at the Tower Bridge end of the moat , from where quite a reasonable view could be had. The path did divide to go under the road and thus to the tube, but it made not a jot of difference to tube passengers. A man, who was apparently a manager,m kept bellowing that nobody was to stop and take photographs. I could swear the click of cameras increased considerably and there were some very interesting interesting comments voiced, particularly by older people. I think the tube staff gave up in the end, and I for one gave a silent hooray! The people had spoken.

TR

If this was to continue for a further 4 years I am sure there would not be the interest that there is at the moment. People are crowding to see it because it is only there for a restricted period. If it was to be there for a further 4 years it would suffer from the "it will still be there next week/month/year" syndrome and very few people would bother to make a special journey to see it. Impact lost.

Could we suggest an installation for November 2018?

Nigel

I never would have thought in a million years that I would be telling my friends and family that I am off to see an 'Art Installation' in London, but I will be there next Sunday.

What is refreshing about this piece is that it has meaning, beauty and required a high level of skill to create and as result this has been a big hit with the general public but has really got up the nose of a certain 'chattering class' critic.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2014/oct/28/tower-of-london-poppies-ukip-remembrance-day

Hopefully Rosemary, this might be an inspiration for others to create further installations in various areas of the country for others such as yourself to enjoy, admire and reflect upon.

Maxi

Maxi

I believe I heard the gentleman concerned in a Radio 4 PM programmed discussion. In my experience, the judgement of art critics is in direct opposition to that of the public.He is entitled to his opinion but I would include it, in this case, with our council's fortnightly collection..

I cannot see that a 'pool of blood' can be other than the most fundamental symbol of war loss, on all sides and it will be a shame when it disappears. .My sister and family visited today, unaware of the warnings to stay away. She reports that It was extremely busy but the atmosphere was a good one and very appreciative.

Hopefully the significance of November 2018 will be equally symbolised in some way.

Rosemary

Maxi

I believe I heard the gentleman concerned in a Radio 4 PM programmed discussion. In my experience, the judgement of art critics is in direct opposition to that of the public.He is entitled to his opinion but I would include it, in this case, with our council's fortnightly collection..

Well put Rosemary and far better than what I said on reading his review (which rhymed with 'trucking tanker').

Maxi