Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Alfred Smith

Traveller1003

I am researching my wife's grandfather William Alfred Smith 2727193186 from 20th London Regt. and have been able to obtain a copy of his medal card but it does not have a record of the Military Medal award. I have a record of his diary from 1915 (March to September) and there is no mention there. We do have the medals within the family.He was awarded the Military medal in his 1914 - 18 service.

Can you post the direct link to his medal index card?

The service numbers given are for TF [4 digit] and the 6 digit for the renumbering in 1917. Can you check the 6 digit number as it does not seem to tally with info on Long Long Trail [top left of this page]

Cheers Rollerbeadle.

The OP did not mention RE.

Have you seen the MIC?

Yes ..have seen the MIC... no mention of MM ...Entry Date 10.3.15.... Transferred to Z reserve 15.2.19.

Excellent, thanks

I have the MIC

He was a Territorial. We have his disembodiment(what a surprising term) paper it has an MM stamped on it. I am organising a photo of his medals (still in the family) and will update when this is done.

Once again thank you

The MM was awarded for deeds for the last couple of months of the war judging by the date of the London Gazette (23 July 1919):

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31469/supplement/9360

The Gazette doesn't give his exact unit, unfortunately. The MM card (these usually give unit and date of Gazette, but not a citation of the deeds) is on the NA website (no available on Ancestry, etc.):

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6222036

There is a "diced out" preview on the NA - which seems to not show a unit either.

Steve.

You guys are brilliant. Thank you for your efforts

We have tried to go through lots of gazettes so this is a sucess. There is a card from the 46th North Midland Division (undated) which only states 46th North Midland Sig(nals) Co. regarding bravery in the field signed by Major General G. F. Boyd

The medal will be with me shortly and I am giving a presentation about my wife's Grandfathers at the end of this month and this information has helped greatly.

Keith

The Divisional Cards were often for the same deeds that Military Medals were awarded. Recommendations usually went to both Divisional Command (who awarded Divisional Gallantry Cards/Parchments, which the above card is probably an example of) and the next level up at Corps Command (who awarded Military Medals)

You may be able to narrow the dates of the card award by the dates between which General Boyd served as G.O.C. of the Division. Military Medals usually have the unit details on as well.

Edit:

Ah, GOC of 46th Division from September 1918, so the card and Military Medal are probably for the same deeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Boyd_(British_Army_officer)

So 46th Divisional Signal Company war diary may mention the award, at least in a list.

Steve.

Steve

I am most grateful.

I have down loaded the diary and have some light reading to do.

The help that I have had with this topic made me even more proud to stand selling poppies today

Keith