Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War in a "Band of Brothers" Format

TheFonz

I love "Band of Brothers," "The Pacific" not as much, and will be more than interested to see the treatment Hanks/Spielberg will give the 8th Air Force in their next installment.

So, I was thinking - would a series about the Great War done in a BoB-style format be feasible? I believe it would be easy to depict a unit starting with its raising at the beginning of the war, training, followed by combat until the end, with a one or two of the original characters remaining to see the Armistice. What unit would you propose? Off the top of my head, I was thinking of a company-level group of the 1st Australian Division, going through training, Gallipoli, and France. I would want it to show the careful detail given to "Band of Brothers."

Naturally, if this was an American production, it would likely be an American unit. Personally, I would rather see a Canadian, British, or Australian unit that was there from the start.

So, what are your ideas? Apologies if this has been discussed before; I did a search but did not find anything.

Could be good, I think I heard some where a ww2 vet was asked what it was like on the beach he said take a look at band of brothers?

Could be good, I think I heard some where a ww2 vet was asked what it was like on the beach he said take a look at band of brothers?

You mean 'Saving Private Ryan' Doug? Easy Coy were paratroopers!

Chris is dead right. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it Brian. I'd like to see a similar concept with Tommys. Hasn't been done as far as I am aware.

Rgds

Tim D

Well the Australian series ANZACs (with Paul Hogan etc) pretty much does this doesn't it?

Chris

I have not seen it, but have heard of it. Even so, I thought something more modern, to introduce the war to new audiences. Doesn't have to be the Australian 1st, though. I'm sure someone here could recommend a unit that saw action throughout the war, participating in the major battles, and had a survivor or two that maintained a diary that could be used in combination with official records to make a successful series.

I love "Band of Brothers," "The Pacific" not as much, and will be more than interested to see the treatment Hanks/Spielberg will give the 8th Air Force in their next installment.

So, I was thinking - would a series about the Great War done in a BoB-style format be feasible? I believe it would be easy to depict a unit starting with its raising at the beginning of the war, training, followed by combat until the end, with a one or two of the original characters remaining to see the Armistice. What unit would you propose? Off the top of my head, I was thinking of a company-level group of the 1st Australian Division, going through training, Gallipoli, and France. I would want it to show the careful detail given to "Band of Brothers."

Naturally, if this was an American production, it would likely be an American unit. Personally, I would rather see a Canadian, British, or Australian unit that was there from the start.

So, what are your ideas? Apologies if this has been discussed before; I did a search but did not find anything.

How many productions have shown the war from the German side? That'd have my vote.

How many productions have shown the war from the German side? That'd have my vote.

I'd be up for that, too. "All Quiet on the Western Front" seemed to be successful enough in the Allied countries.

.....Naturally, if this was an American production, it would likely be an American unit. Personally, I would rather see a Canadian, British, or Australian unit that was there from the start.

Bull :w00t: - Spielberg has German ancestries.

The ideal unit would be the unsurpassed Infanterie-Regiment 49

I think I heard some where a ww2 vet was asked what it was like on the beach he said take a look at band of brothers?

I seem to remember an interview with a veteran of the landing on Omaha Beach, who said that 'Saving Private Ryan' was the most realistic representation he had seen .... but it was still lacking in use of the word 'F*ck', smells, and dismembered heads in helmets rolling around in the surf.

The ideal unit would be the unsurpassed Infanterie-Regiment 49

As both versions of All Quiet on the Western Front were American, I'm slightly surprised that Hollywood hasn't produced a mini-series based on Storm of Steel ...

They did do an American TV miniseries (movie?) on The Lost Battalion (with Rick Schroeder, of all people!), which was actually not too bad. It is available on YouTube, if you are interested.

-Daniel

PS - Egbert, I second your vote! Who would you want to portray Gottfried?

I've always thought a film following the first 3 Americans killed in the German raid on their unit in Nov. 1917 would make a good one. Follow them through training then to France then to that fateful night of the raid & their deaths. 2 were regular soldiers & the 3rd an Iowa boy who enlisted when war was declared in April 1917. 7 months they were dead. Would not cover the full war of course but end that night but still would make a good film in my opinion & could learn about the 3 men as they move ever closer to that night. The raid would be the climax of the film of course & would have to be done right with proper technical advice.

That sounds like an interesting project for an American audience, Loader, but I suspect that something beginning 'when war was declared in April 1917' might fall a bit flat elsewhere. I have never got over the experience of watching 'Company K' twice (the second time because I felt an obligation to re-consider the opinion I formed first time round).

How would he have known? I can't imagine many vets landing on D Day.

I think it's probably too late, but I would like to see a Band of Brothers treatment of a BEF infantry unit from mobilisation to the end of First Ypres. Difficult to do and open to criticism of anachronisms. But if it could be done..

R.

Looking after the regimental mascot? You could be right.

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting thread. I think many will agree that Saving Private Ryan raised the bar on what digital enhancements can do with a modern war film. Adding the great story line of 'Band of Brothers', it seems like an epic, WW I series focusing on a small unit in the course of the war is overdue. I also second some of the comments on including a German unit for consideration. Perhaps something like Clint Eastwood did with 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo.' Regards, John

Personally I would like to see a unit from the RMLI, because they served in Belgium in 1914, Gallipoli in 1915, France and Belgium for the remainder of the war. This would give the producer plenty of scope to cover as many aspects of the war as possible from the early days of movement and then the effort to knock the Turks out of the war to the stalemate and eventual victory on the Western Front.

Regards

Pompey

It seems immodest, but this is exactly what I hope the series TOMMIES will achieve on BBC Radio 4 over the next four years.

I created, co-produce and co-write it.

You may like to know that our early 1915 (April-May) episodes are already recorded, but I am now working on series outlines for late 1915 and into 1916.

I would be most grateful for any further thoughts you may have on the programme, because I am keen to improve it series-on-series.

Jonathan

ps - I've posted a lot of background info on my own website - gbfilms.com

I wonder if the technical format could be used as per BOB but the story line in a similar way to the Pacific mini series ,in that it follows the story/ experiences of a number of individuals ,in that way you could include for instance a regular/reservist solider involved in 1914, a lad who volunteers in August 1914 and follow his experiences ,through to some one conscripted and is in action in the later part of the war.