Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

private Frederick Allen

lynphillips

hi guys

wondering if anyone can help me I'm looking for pictures of my great grandfather. His name was Frederick Allen. He served with the 1st bat south staffs (service number 10007). He died on the 25-9-1915 and is buried at Loos Memorial. If anyone could help me i'd be most grateful as i'm trying to do a memorial for him.xx

many thanks

lyn

Hi and welcome

We frequently get these requests, especially as this is the Centenary year so I hope the forum Pals come up trumps for you.

Are you sure no family members may have old photo albums secreted away in lofts or cupboards?

Do any of them remember anything about him?

Local newspapers often carried details of men when enlisting, back home after wounding or when they died and often the family would supply a photo at that time.

I assume you have family history details?

ALLEN, FREDERICK. Rank: Private. Service No: 10007. Date of Death: 25/09/1915.
Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment 1st Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 73 to 76. Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL.
Name: Frederick Allen. Birth Place: West Bromwich, Staffs. Residence: Brierley Hill, Staffs.
Death Date: 25 Sep 1915. Enlistment Place: Stourbridge, Worcs.
Rank: Private. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion. Regimental Number: 10007
Type of Casualty: Killed in action.
Arrived in France 17 December 1914, and didn't get in range of the enemy's guns and so only qualified for the 1915 Star as well as the British War and Victory medals.
No address or reference to medals being returned, but as no Additional Information shown on his CWGC entry, the family didn't return the Final Verification Form to have any address or family details entered.
He would have had previous service to have been ready to be in France before the end of 1914
Name: Frederick Allen. Registration Year: 1897. Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar.
Registration district: West Bromwich, Staffordshire. Volume: 6b. Page: 898.
This may be him, but dangerously close to enlisting under age, so there may be a better candidate, however do you know if this is him?
Name: Frederick Allen. Age: 4. Birth Year: abt 1897. Father: George Allen. Mother: Alice Allen
Birth Place: West Bromwich, Staffordshire.
1911 Census: George, aged 60 and a glass packer at a glass manufacturers and Ellen had been married 37 years, 10 children, 7 still alive in 1911. 4 children still living with parents at 9 Francis Street, West Bromwich. Frederick was an errand boy for a chemist.
If it is a different Frederick, then this might be a brother
ALLEN, JAMES DOUGLAS. Rank: Private. Service No: 9571. Date of Death: 05/07/1915.
Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment 1st/5th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 35 and 37. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL.
Name: James Douglas Allen. Birth Place: West Bromwich, Staffs. Residence: Brierley Hill, Staffs.
Death Date: 5 Jul 1915. Enlistment Place: West Bromwich.
Rank: Private. Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment. Battalion: 1st 5th Battalion (Territorial Force).
Regimental Number: 9571. Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Many thanks old sweats

the only info that i can give you is that he was 35 when he died n had served in the south african war with honour and had a medal with five bars for his service. He also had 3 brothers serving at the same time Pte Isaacher Allen was missing in action, Pte Jim Allen wounded on the 31st October and Pte Job Allen discharged after being shot in the eye. He lived at 34 Hall Street, Lyng, West Bromwich. I hope this info can help.

Many Thanks

Lyn

Dear Enoch

Many many thanks for these pictures, It amazes me how you find out this info,. Without the help and fellow people like you i would not be able to get such information like this. Once again many many thanks Enoch

kind regards lyn xx

• 4 months later...

hi enoch.

its been some time but was just wondering were did you get this pic from. was it a book or newspaper.

kind regards lyn xx