Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Africa War Graves Project

southafricawargraves

http://www.southafricawargraves.org/

The Project

The aim of this project is to photograph or obtain a photograph of every South African war grave of the 20th century. These photos will eventually be made freely available on the project's website. At the present time, this site is intended to be a project information source only and has no searchable graves database.

Most of the families and friends of South Africa's war dead have never visited and will never visit the graves of the fallen due to the distances and expenses involved. We cannot bring their bodies home for burial but we can bring photos of the graves into the homes of all South Africans. In doing so we will create a virtual South African national war cemetery.

In digital format this archive should be a permanent addition to the national archives of South Africa and a permanent photographic inventory of South Africa's war graves for generations to come.

The South Africa War Graves Project currently has no official status with the government of South Africa nor any of its departments or agencies. It is a private endeavour but is working toward official recognition.

The project relies solely on the kind assistance of hundreds of volunteers and sponsors around the world who take the photographs or donate funds to help pay for the good work of the project.

Guest Pete Wood

Congratulations on setting this up, Ralph.

While you may have the smallest numbers of photos to take (compared to the other projects), your task will, I think, be the most difficult because of the geographical locations.

You must also tell us how you, living in Canada, came to organise this..... ;)

I sincerely wish you, and the other projects, luck in getting official recognition. As Steve Douglas and Matt Smith may have told you, I have tried (without success, and on more than one occassion) to get the CWGC behind this.

Now if someone will volunteer to organise the Indian War Graves, it really will make the project a true, worldwide project. :)

Perhaps you might consider, as this forum is made up mainly of UK and European enthusiasts, to make up a list of South African headstones (locations - towns, counties etc) that you would like to have photographs of.....??

Regards

Pete

Perhaps you might consider, as this forum is made up mainly of UK and European enthusiasts, to make up a list of South African headstones (locations - towns, counties etc) that you would like to have photographs of.....??

Pete

I do know that Ralph has started to make a list available already. I'm looking after my local area,Cambridgeshire, and may well move out and around a bit more whilst working on the UK project.

One thing Ralph didn't mention in his posting is that he will also take Southern Rhodesian photos. I hope he'll forgive me for mentioning that but it did come up as a subject recently because I came across some burials in my area.

I hope he has lots of success with the project and let's hope other Forum members back him up. As you mentioned it must be difficult for a Canadian to oversee tjis project.

Garth

Bad timing if you want their service papers, though: the SANDF has just imposed stringent restrictions - where before there were none - on accessing records collated within the last 120 years. :o Might change their minds, though...

Hello Ralph, I will be pleased to assist where I can. I have several photographs of grave headstones of South African females who served and died in WW1. I have taken most of these myself but where kindly provided to me for a project that I am doing I shall seek the provider's permission. I am sending you an email off Forum. There are a number of South African nurses whose graves are not cared for by CWGC. I know that they were casualties but perhaps someone on this forum can point me in the right direction to find out where they are buried.

And dont forget Amy Parrott Jim :)

www.southafricawargraves.org

Hi there,

I am going to be in Capetown in the New Year so could do a little photo taking for you. Pretoria Cemetary is one I will be visiting. If I can be of any help please just ask.

Robbie

Hi all,

To view the new website please look use this url

To view the cemeteries that require photographing please go here:

http://www.southafricawargraves.org/list.htm

I have yet to put up France. I've completed all the others though. France should be done within the week.

Basically if you think you can complete a cemetery in your area then ask for the appropiate cemetery listing and I'll forward the details.

Email me: ralph@southafricawargraves.org

Yes, I collecting the Rhodesians, although as of yet I have no list for them. I'll be collecting British South Africa Police as well, again no complete list.

As for running this from Canada, no worries, this is why we have the internet. I collected in the range of 60-70 thousand war graves and commerations (stop counting) for all the projects so far I'm content to sit back and let someone else have fun for awhile snapping pix.

So to contact me, use the above email and I'll forward what I can.

Thanks guys!

R.

Hi all,

To view the new website please look use this url

To view the cemeteries that require photographing please go here:

http://www.southafricawargraves.org/list.htm

I have yet to put up France. I've completed all the others though. France should be done within the week.

Basically if you think you can complete a cemetery in your area then ask for the appropiate cemetery listing and I'll forward the details.

Email me: ralph@southafricawargraves.org

Yes, I collecting the Rhodesians, although as of yet I have no list for them. I'll be collecting British South Africa Police as well, again no complete list.

As for running this from Canada, no worries, this is why we have the internet. I collected in the range of 60-70 thousand war graves and commerations (stop counting) for all the projects so far I'm content to sit back and let someone else have fun for awhile snapping pix.

So to contact me, use the above email and I'll forward what I can.

Thanks guys!

R.

Hi Ralph

i make and take pictures of all ths graves from this cemetery for you.

Please help me and give me the name.

Regards Jean-Michel

http://www.ww1plugstreet.org

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut Berks Cemetery Extension 1 1

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut Gunners Farm Military Cemetery 9 9

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery 1 1

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut Lancashire Cottage Cemetery 1 1

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut Maple Leaf Cemetery 1 1

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut Ploegsteert Memorial 13 6 19

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut Rifle House Cemetery 1 1

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut Strand Military Cemetery 1 1

Comines-Warneton, Hainaut Tancrez Farm Military Cemetery 4 4

Need volunteers to email me at:

ralph@southafricawargraves.org

I can't post all cemetery lists on the GWF.

If you email me there I can send along any list, check email twice a day and so you'll have the list within a day.

I ask that everyone who wishes to help read over the Photo Guideline here before commencing as we have strict guidelines on how a photo should be shot.

http://southafricawargraves.org/photo.htm

Thanks,

Ralph McLean

http://southafricawargraves.org/

Below is an example of a perfect picture.

post-4-1099177094.jpg

Hi SAWG,

I live next door to :

Lincolnshire Lincoln (Newport) Cemetery 3 3

So can get these Ok for you,

Do you have details??

Will also do:

Lincolnshire Thurlby (St. Germain) Churchyard 1 1

Will do the other two in Lincolnshire but cannot immediately commit to them.

Roop

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chums,

More volunteers are still needed by Ralph to progress this project. From my own experience its a very pleasurable and rewarding pastime which you can fit into your spare time.

Contact Ralph on the email above and find a cemetary near you.

Roop

Guest Trench Boezinge

Hi,

I will do my best trying to take pictures of gravestones around Ieper, Westvlaanderen, I'll let you know which cemeteries I'll have done.

I'll start with Wieltje Farm cemetery and Bleuet Farm Cemetery in the upcoming days.

Hi Trench Boezinghe

If you contact Ralph by email (ralph@southafricawargraves.org) he will guide you so that there isnt any duplication . Thanks for the offer .

Roop