Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Group photo regiment identification

dravin

Cap badge looks like it could be Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry. Although I believe the bugle (as opposed to a trumpet) would suggest an infantry regiment rather than cavalry.

Steve is correct, It is definitely the Army Ordnance Corps. Not just the cap badge but the straight A.O.C. shoulder titles.

Sepoy

Thank you Steve, that was my opinion too given the shape

It was the shoulder badge that got me

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you also to Munce but don't think its Duke of Lancs Yeomanry but time will hopefully tell

We overlapped posts there Sepoy

I was hoping it was AOC but couldn't read that myself (and still can't to be honest)

I do think its AOC cap badge as you say though

The easy way to tell that it is the AOC cap badge is that it is straight topped and does not have a Coronet as per the Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry.

Re Shoulder titles - This is not a hard and fast rule but can help identification a Corps/Artillery Shoulder title is usually straight: Infantry Shoulder titles are usually curved: Territorial unit Shoulder titles are three line ie County/Battalion number or Corps/ T: Yeomanry tend to be three line or two line: Regular Cavalry are also straight but can be ornate and the cap badges can be distinctive. For Fusiliers and Light Infantry add flaming grenades and Strung Bugles. For War Raised various designs etc.

The Shoulder title being worn by the chap on the other end of the front row is clearer.

Finally these chaps have their puttees tied at the top whereas Mounted troops tied their puttees are the bottom.

I hope this makes sense - I am tired and need my bed :)

Cheers

Sepoy

Agree with all that, for what it's worth. I did notice the puttees, but assumed that the regiment (if it was the DoL) would be in a dismounted role and so would presumably wrap them the other way round. But the close up of the badge and the shoulder titles removes most doubt I think, definitely AOC.

Many thanks both much appreciated

I was aware of the puttee windings which can sometimes help

My eyes are not what they were as I still can't read AOC into the shoulder badge but have found on several occasions the light and other factors can make a badge look very different, hence the question really

Appreciate the feedback, will report back to the photos owner whose grandfather is in it, I am sure he will be pleased to know his regiment after many years

It's interesting to see from the waist belts that even AOC were issued with the 1903 bandolier equipment.

And on that, was there any rule or reason which dictated when the waist belt would be worn without bandolier, when the bandolier would be worn without waist belt, and when they would be worn together (which I admit I've rarely seen)?

And on that, was there any rule or reason which dictated when the waist belt would be worn without bandolier, when the bandolier would be worn without waist belt, and when they would be worn together (which I admit I've rarely seen)?

The belt alone would be worn in undress when walking out and was even used with scarlet frock in some Foreign stations between the wars. Strictly speaking it should be worn with the bandolier connected in marching order, as this allowed the attachment of other items. The bandolier alone would be termed as skeleton or musketry order.