Remembered Today:

York and Lancaster Regiment 2/4th

r30rvp

Hi all

I'm Looking into a friends relative William Larmer 32891 from Durham

enlisted 12/01/17 at Houghton Le Spring

Embarked at Folkestone 13/05/17 to France

KIA 12/7/17

I have managed to find alot of information on ancestry and just wanted to know, was he called up under the derby scheme or volunteered??

Have also got the war diary (he is even mentioned as KIA!!!).( and if anybody knows where to look for a photograph)

Any information would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Rachel

Good evening Rachel, try looking in the local papers for Durham or Houghton Le Spring at the local history centre at the local libraries that's usually where I find them.

By 1917 the method of enrolment was via conscription, I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will put us right.

In the mean time good hunting.

Cheers Roger.

I'd go for conscription - very few men would fall outside of conscription by 1917 to the extent where they could then separately volunteer.

Craig

• Admin

His record is ambiguous in that it shows he attested 10/1/16 and was placed on the Army Reserve 11/1/1916. This makes him a Derby Scheme volunteer.

It then shows mobilised 12/1/1916 and posted 13/1/1916 which is overwritten with a 7 showing 1917 These dates accord with the Attestation Form which show he was posted to a Training Reserve Battalion on the latter date.

Therefore a Derby Scheme recruit not a conscript. If you have a look at his age you can probably establish the Group.

Ken

Rachel

There is a W Larmer noted here

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7186

There is a good local WW1 project running at Easington lane. PM me and I will give you a contact.

There is a J Larmer on this memorial which is not far away, could be a relation it's not a common name.

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7509

David

• 4 years later...

Hi - I thought you might be able to help (those of you who have followed this thread). I am looking for more information on the 2nd/4th battalion York and Lancaster regiment. My wife's great uncle served and gave his life on July 20th 1918 in this battalion. His name is John William Clarke 17850 Private aged 34. His name is on the Soissons memorial. Can anyone help me find out more about the man, the regiment, the place they were fighting on that day? Greatly appreciated in advance.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Findmypast has a set of service papers for John- link. They should also be on Ancestry. The Battalion war diary is here at the National Archives, and here on Ancestry. The Brigade HQ diary is here, and here. He left a will - possibly only a very few words. £10 from here. It would come as a low resolution B&W scan of the original. 

Regards

Chris

Edit:

The link to his papers on Ancestry is here

Edited by clk

Hello and thank you for the reply. I will follow each link. The Ancestry one I already have researched. He was a distant relative of my wife's family that no one seemed to know anything about.

Kind regards

Barry