Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

60 Squadron RFC / RAF

petet

Does anyone have the book "60 Squadron RFC / RAF" by Alex Revell?.

If so, could you let me know whether there is any information in it regarding C Williams (Cyril) who was killed with LS Charles on 30th July 1916.

Regards

Pete

I have a copy somewhere

the copy I have is the 1920 book by Scott and although your two men are listed in the casualties nothing specific in the text [ball joined during this period and this is discussed at length }

but interestingly Charles is listed as missing died as a P O W , Williams listed as killed

Thanks for the feedback; it is very much appreciated

I only have the two of them listed as missing (although I know Williams was killed). I made an assumption that LS Charles was also killed so I will follow that aspect up.

Regards (and thanks again)

Pete

[uPDATE: CWGC shows Williams and Charles killed on the same date; can anyone help clarify this matter?]

Edited by petet

5193 Morane Type BB. Ex MS606. 2 AD dd 3.4.1916. 3 Sqn dd ex 2 AD 4.4.1916 and crashed 3.6.1916. 2 AD for repair. 60 Sqn Vert Galant by 5.7.1916 and LIA near Estrees 30.7.1916 (Capt LS Charles POW fatally wdd/Lt C Williams KIA).

Thanks Mick

I can't work out how the POW information ties in with the CWGC information, unless he was captured after the crash and then died on the same day. Can anyone recommend an original source document which may shed some light on this matter?.

Also, is there a document which would show the dates when C Williams attached to 35th Squadron from the Highland Light Infantry for observer training and his posting to 60th Squadron?

Regards

Pete

Thanks for sight of the Casualty Card .... I am guessing I am doing something wrong as I can't find it, nor the card for C Williams, online on the RAFMuseum site?.

I still can't understand where the POW information is coming from. Am I just having a "brain is out of gear" day?

Regards

Pete

I think if shot down behind enemy lines & died 10min after being pulled from the wreckage he was still listed as a POW technically when more clearly he "Died in enemy hands". But the Germans & their paperwork would list him as POW though he never saw a POW camp or was even processed in. As long as the paperwork was filled out & submitted to higher HQ all was well.

Thanks again for the feedback,

I managed to find the Casualty Cards on the RAFMuseum site this morning but I am still confused about the POW element.

Am I missing something on the cards that points to LS Charles being a POW?

Regards

Pete

Edited by petet

I am making some progress on this research now and wondered if anyone has a copy of the Combat Report (Charles / Williams for 26th July 1916) and/or the War Diary for 60th Squadron for May / June / July 1916.

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Pete