Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tongham War Memorial: Peter Tyler Royal Navy

bootneck

I am trying to identify a Peter Tyler who is commemorated on the Tongham War Memorial in Surrey.

He is recorded on the memorial as having served in the Royal Navy, but the report of the dedication in the Surrey Advertiser on 4 January 1922 only gives his name. So far I have been unable to identify him or prove a connection with the area.

However, there is an Able Seaman 602114 Peter Tyler, Mercantile Marine Reserve, who was lost aboard HM Yacht Zarefah when it was mined in May 1917. He is commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, but I cannot seem to find any other information. I know there is a report into the loss of the Zarefah at Kew in ADM 137/3308. Whether this might help I am unsure.

Can anybody supply any pointers.

regards

Bootneck

Joe R

Thank you for pointing the casualty list. I've had the website bookmarked for quite a while but never really used it. I will have to investigate more.

My problem is that I know my way arond RN/RM records reasonably well; but I'm so-so with merchant seamen's records and have no idea about the mercantile merchant marine.

Peter Tyler does not appear to have received the Merchant Marine Medal and does not appear on the RN Medal Rolls.

regards

Bootneck

Peter Tyler does not appear to have received the Merchant Marine Medal and does not appear on the RN Medal Rolls.

His is on the Admiralty MMR Medal Roll ADM 171/132. Victory and British War Medals not claimed/issued.

Horatio2

Thank you. I must have been doing something wrong as I couldn't find him.

Now I've just got to find his service record or a connection to Tongham.

regards

Bootneck