Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Bn., King's (Liverpool) Reg. - Demolition of the Barracks

Stephen Nulty

I am indebted to my friend John Hopkins, local historian and postcard collector, for sharing these images and words with me.

The first picture shows the 17th Bn., King's (LIverpool) Regiment "square bashing" in civvies at the Pals Barracks. This is from an "Edward's" postcard which was posted on 21st October 1914.

WF1.png

Exactly 100 years later, 21st October 2014, the bulldozers arrived. Although the old Watch Factory is a Grade 2 listed building, some of the smaller ancilliary buildings are not. Demolition is taking place as the first stage of the development of the site into a "Retirement Village"

WF2.png

The Cabonora postcard below shows the 'Pals' at dinner in the canteen in November 1914.

WF3.png

John writes, "While passing this morning I noticed that the building, used as the Pal's canteen, was in the process of being demolished. Realising it was about to disappear forever, in the next few minutes, I approached the site supervisor to get one final historic photograph before it's demise, and thankfully he gave me permission and a hard-hat, and stopped the bulldozers for five minutes. As I entered the gloomy remains of the canteen I pictured the scene, captured by Cabonora a hundred years earlier, of all the carefree young men dining in there, oblivious to the horrors of war that awaited them; and as I took the last photograph, as if to mark the occasion, there was a huge clap of thunder as Hurricane Gonzalo arrived".

WF4.png

Nice post Stephen.

The date on the postcard seems almost prophetic as well?

BillyH.

Stephen

Great post and great work by John; thanks for this.

Pete.

• 2 months later...

Hi Stephen,

I was lucky enough to have a guided tour around the Watch Factory 2 years ago. Sad to see the demolition going ahead but some of the buildings were very dangerous.

Regards,

Bill

Hello Bil

Yes, some were very dodgy. The site is fenced off at the moment so it's not possible to see the current 'state of play' but I'll keep you in touch

• 2 months later...

Lancashire Watch Company, Prescot.

My wife's Grandmother worked there as a watch maker circa 1903. Sad to see parts of the old building being demolished.

Mike.

Craig

Thanks for sharing. It looks to me like toe Carbonara pictures are from the Watch Works.

I have provided some of the 17th Bn images to the developers, Iliad, and they are in the process of printing them to 'dress' the scaffolding and fencing around the site.

Once that is complete, I'll post some updated images

Incidentally, I have now transcribed the 17th Bn War Diary from 1915 to mid-1918. If you pm me an email address, I'll send you a copy

Mike - yes, sad to see some parts of it being demolished but the main body, which is listed, is being redeveloped which is good news because it's been standing derelict for some time now

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've just posted to Flickr some of my great uncle's photos from his training with the 17th Battalion which includes a photo which I assume was taken within the Prescot watch factory barracks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/craighasten/sets/72157651603605275/

Some of the postcards are of the 18th KLR at Hooton mate.

Bill