Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm searching two officers from the Royal Irish Regiment

micks

Hi all

I'm in the early stages of researching the service of the following two officers so any

information would be appreciated.

Major James Hugh Christie

2nd Bn

24/05/1915

Major Charles Taylor

3rd Bn ?

05/08/1917

I have their MIC and the CWGC information so this is my starting point.

All the best

Mick

The following may be of interest.

The Times, Friday, June 4 1915

KILLED IN ACTION

CHRISTIE. - Killed in action in France, on 24th May, CAPTAIN JAMES HUGH CHRISTIE, 2nd. Batt. Royal Irish (18th) Regiment, the dearly loved husband of Phyllis Christie, of 30, River Street, Bath, and only surviving son of the late Hugh Christie and Mrs. Christie, of 101, Northgate, Regent's Park, N.W.

Obituary in the same edition of The Times.

CAPTAIN JAMES HUGH CHRISTIE, of the 4th Royal Irish Regiment, was killed in France on May 20. The only surviving son of the late Hugh Christie and Mrs. Christie, of 101, Northgate, Regent's Park, S.W., he served in the South African campaign being present at the action at Laing's Nek, and received the Queen's medal with four clasps and the King's medal with two clasps. Captain Christie, who was married, was born in November, 1879, and obtained his first commission in the South Lancashire Regiment in 1900, being promoted captain in 1907 and retiring in 1909.

[Note the discrepancies in his date of death, battalion number, and the postal district of Regent's Park. (18th) being the former Regiment of Foot number, pre 1881, which became 1st and 2nd Bns of the Royal Irish Regiment.He was obviously on the Reserve of Officers and was recalled to service.]

• 2 years later...

Major Charles Taylor was killed with the 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment (as per their war diary) on 5th August.

Diary reads:-

"Relieved by 8th Inniskilling Fusiliers and moved back to Brandhoek No. 2 Area. Counter attack on right of Divisional front. Major C TAYLOR killed."