Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ogbourne St Andrew, Wiltshire, Village Memorial

Watchdog8891

Dear Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have been asked to look into the names of the servicemen mentioned on our village Memorial to those that fell in the Great War, I have done some simple research on the majority, which i would be happy to share,but if you have any information, especially pictures on the following, i would be very interested to hear from you.

Pte SJ Caswell 18387, 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regt

Pte R Smith 43909, 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regt

Pte N Caldwell 10123, 1st Bn Wiltshire Regt

A/Cpl CA Hams 18388, 1st Bn Wiltshire Regt

Pte AEE Wigmore 10545, 1st Bn Wiltshire Regt

Pte G Angel 18390, 1st Bn Wiltshire Regt

Pte TJ Eggleton, 21037, 5th Bn Wiltshire Regt

Pte CE Cook, 9612, 5th Bn Wiltshire Regt (17 years old)

Pte EJ Woodroff, 14131 5th Bn Wiltshire Regt

Major (Temp) G D'Arcy Edwardes 1st (Royal) Dragoons and 2ic 13th Battalion Welsh Regt

Pte G Lea, 12434, 10th Bn Glosters

Pte SG Mundy, 20632, 6th Dorsets

Pte IJ Smith, 303466, Manchester Regt

Less we forget

Regards

Nick

Can't help with your request for additional info or photos etc but I can possibly add to your workload.....

Lest you forget.....?

BLANCHARD, W J. Rank: Private. Service No: 21041. Date of Death: 25/03/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment 1st Bn
Grave Reference: II. A. 4. Cemetery: LAGNICOURT HEDGE CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of James and Susan Blanchard, of Ogbourne St. Andrew, Marlborough, Wilts.
HALDRON, JOHN HENRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 27026. Date of Death: 01/07/1916. Age: 28.
Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers 1st Bn.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 3 C and 3 D. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Charles Haldron, of Willenhall, Manchester; husband of Ellen Haldron, of Ivy Cottage, Ogbourne St. Andrew, Marlborough, Wilts.
.... and these for WW2, one of whom is buried in O St A by the look of it......
HARTIGAN, MARTIN GEORGE. Rank: Captain. Service No: 125263. Date of Death: 18/09/1942. Age: 54.
Regiment/Service:General List. Awards: M C (presumably a WW1 award?)
Grave Reference: Central part. Cemetery: OGBOURNE DOWN PRIVATE BURIAL GROUND, OGBOURNE ST. ANDREW.
Additional Information: Son of Jeremiah and Jane Hartigan; husband of Norah Valerie Hartigan, of Ogbourne Maisey. His son Michael George also died on service.
HARTIGAN, MICHAEL GEORGE. Rank: Captain. Service No: 73086. Date of Death: 11/12/1940. Age:22.
Regiment/Service: Royal Armoured Corps "A" Sqn. 3rd King's Own Hussars
Grave Reference: 23. D. 1. Cemetery: HALFAYA SOLLUM WAR CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Capt. Martin George Hartigan, M.C., General List, died on service 18th September, 1942, and of Norah Valerie Hartigan, of Ogbourne Maisey, Marlborough, Wiltshire.
... and surely ONE of the Johnson/Smith family must have had some connection to O St A?
SMITH, GEORGE CHARLES. Rank: Private. Service No: 16675. Date of Death: 01/07/1916. Age: 26.
Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment 6th Bn.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 11 D. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: (Adopted?) Son of George and Martha Johnson, of Ogbourne St. George, Marlborough, Wilts. One of 5 brothers who fell.
Hope you don't mind!

Can't help with your request for additional info or photos etc but I can possibly add to your workload.....

Lest you forget.....?

BLANCHARD, W J. Rank: Private. Service No: 21041. Date of Death: 25/03/1918. Age: 20.
Grave Reference: II. A. 4. Cemetery: LAGNICOURT HEDGE CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of James and Susan Blanchard, of Ogbourne St. Andrew, Marlborough, Wilts.
HALDRON, JOHN HENRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 27026. Date of Death: 01/07/1916. Age: 28.
Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers 1st Bn.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 3 C and 3 D. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Charles Haldron, of Willenhall, Manchester; husband of Ellen Haldron, of Ivy Cottage, Ogbourne St. Andrew, Marlborough, Wilts.
.... and these for WW2, one of whom is buried in O St A by the look of it......
HARTIGAN, MARTIN GEORGE. Rank: Captain. Service No: 125263. Date of Death: 18/09/1942. Age: 54.
Regiment/Service:General List. Awards: M C (presumably a WW1 award?)
Grave Reference: Central part. Cemetery: OGBOURNE DOWN PRIVATE BURIAL GROUND, OGBOURNE ST. ANDREW.
Additional Information: Son of Jeremiah and Jane Hartigan; husband of Norah Valerie Hartigan, of Ogbourne Maisey. His son Michael George also died on service.
HARTIGAN, MICHAEL GEORGE. Rank: Captain. Service No: 73086. Date of Death: 11/12/1940. Age:22.
Regiment/Service: Royal Armoured Corps "A" Sqn. 3rd King's Own Hussars
Grave Reference: 23. D. 1. Cemetery: HALFAYA SOLLUM WAR CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Capt. Martin George Hartigan, M.C., General List, died on service 18th September, 1942, and of Norah Valerie Hartigan, of Ogbourne Maisey, Marlborough, Wiltshire.
... and surely ONE of the Johnson/Smith family must have had some connection to O St A?
SMITH, GEORGE CHARLES. Rank: Private. Service No: 16675. Date of Death: 01/07/1916. Age: 26.
Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment 6th Bn.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 11 D. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: (Adopted?) Son of George and Martha Johnson, of Ogbourne St. George, Marlborough, Wilts. One of 5 brothers who fell.
Hope you don't mind!

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the information, I will be looking into the ww2 chaps next, this has been very interesting and rewarding project so far, a few of the lads died in Iraq, I visited the War Memorial outside Basra back in 2003, however due to a few anti personal mines being left behind, I couldn't get up close to read the panels, little did I know that I would be looking for people on that memorial some years later.

Can I ask a questions, How and Why would a Serviceman or Officer name be put up on the Village War Memorial, was it to do with family ties to the area, as a least 3 people on my list have no links (as far as I can tell) with the Parish.

regards

Nick

Can I ask a questions, How and Why would a Serviceman or Officer name be put up on the Village War Memorial, was it to do with family ties to the area, as a least 3 people on my list have no links (as far as I can tell) with the Parish.

Nick

In most cases when a Memorial was planned, locals would put in requests for people to be included, sometimes Sisters, remarried Wives or Sweethearts, in those cases, it's hard to tie them down as there will be no surname match, have you checked with the local Council or local archives to see if any documentation still exists that may include the requests for inclusion/

Sam

Yes, there was no blueprint guiding how to set up a War Memorial and it was left to each town, village or hamlet to decide who and what form of Memorial would represent their Fallen.

Some chose a hospital or village hall, hence the number of War Memorial Hospitals; Village Halls etc in place of or in addition to the familiar central War Memorial or church plaque.

In time, even the Minutes of the local parish War Memorial committees have been lost so no one now knows what selection criteria they used.

As they were usually built using private donations, Great Aunt Agatha might suggest that her nephew who never visited the place be included, if sufficient money were donated.

Others had moved away and therefore it was assumed that they would add the Name at their new address. The reasons can be many and varied; no two appear to have the same standard!

You aren't the first to encounter this, I bet nearly every War Memorial researcher has come across something similar!

I hate the fact that many Memorials simply show "J Smith" and no one now knows whether it was James; John; Joseph or Jack or Jeremiah etc, let alone who they were related to, the unit they served in or when and where they died.

That's why I feel it important not only to research the backgrounds of each Name, but make it available so others can understand what they did and who they were.

A Scroll of Honour in booklet or website format then allows others researching their Family Tree to establish a connection they otherwise would not know of.

I too have there searchers T shirt - Front "Why is that name on the war memorial?", back "Why is that name not on the war memorial?".

As Kevin says there were no rules and each committee seems to have used different criteria.

I agree that the "Great Aunt Agatha" scenario did exist in some places, but I do not think that acceptance was common unless they were very well know in the location.

As examples both Lieut The Honourable Charles Lindsay Claude Bowles-Lyon and Capt The Honourable Fergus Bowles-Lyon (both Black Watch) were put forward for the Broadway, Worcs, memorial as their aunt Lady Maud Agnes Bowles-Lyon lived in the village, but were rejected as none resident, and you can not get a much more powerful family than that to try and swing the decison (info taken from Broadway Remembers by Debbie Williamson).

My feeling from the research that I have done is that there is a valid reason for the names being on the memorial even if it is not so obvious now, eg moved to the village after the 1911 census, and that we now just do not have all the evidence so can not understand the rational. I have also found several on 2 memorials where they were born and grew up in the one village but lived in another when killed.

I just find some of the ommissions harder to understand. Some are understandable, such as the person has left the village (even if after 1911 so we might not know this).

But I think some of this comes down to "politics", one village I researched had a Church and Baptist Chapel, both of which had memorials andsome names were on both memorials, however both had unique names and I am sure that this is due to some Church / Chapel people not associating with the other and therefore the name only being on "their" memorial. Also saw a case on TV the other day where they had established that the "missing" name was due to a mother not wanting her sons name on the memorial as she had to walk by it every day and did not want to be reminded of his death.

The examples above are why I do not believe that we should try to get names added to old memorials, although we should ensure that the information is avialable for everybody to see in some other form.

Nick

I know it's of no help but it's always interesting to see men on such small memorials who joined together and died on the same day. Caswell and Hams both have consecutive service numbers, went to France weeks apart and were posted to different battalions but both died on the same day. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few others from the village who enlisted with numbers close by but who survived. In addition Eggleton and Blanchard may have been in a similar boat - only a few numbers separate them also.

Do you have war diary entries for the men you've listed?

Kind regards

Colin

Had a bit of fun this afternoon

Pte SJ Caswell 18387, 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regt
CASWELL, S J. Rank: Private. Service No:18387. Date of Death: 09/04/1917. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Bn.
Grave Reference: Special Memorial 13. Cemetery: WANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Native of Ogbourne St. Andrew, Marlborough, Wilts. Husband of Mary Metcalfe (formerly Caswell), of Russley Park, Baydon, Wilts.
Name: Sidney James Caswell. Birth Place: Mildenhall, Wilts. Residence: Marlborough, Wilts.
Death Date: 9 Apr 1917. Death Place: France and Flanders. Enlistment Place: Devizes, Wilts.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment. Battalion: 2nd Battalion.
Regimental Number: 18387. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
is this his sister?
CASWELL, MARGARET SELINA. Rank: Worker. Service No: 15703. Date of Death: 30/05/1918. Age:22.
Regiment/Service: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps
Grave Reference: IV. C. 1. Cemetery: ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Daughter of Fredrick and Mary Jane Caswell, of Green Cross Farm, Churt, Farnham, Surrey. of Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, Hants.
Name: Margaret Selina Caswell. Birth Place: Ogborne, Wilts. Death Date: 30 May 1918. (Born O St G)
Death Place: France and Flanders. Enlistment Place: Tidworth.
Rank: Worker. Regiment: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps. Regimental Number: 15703.
Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
Pte N Caldwell 10123, 1st Bn Wiltshire Regt
CALDWELL, NELSON. Rank: Private. Service No: 10123. Date of Death: 20/05/1915. Age: 21.
Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment "A" Coy. 1st Bn.
Grave Reference: I. D. 2. Cemetery: ELZENWALLE BRASSERIE CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of John and Mary Caldwell, of The Turnpike, Rockley Rd., Marlborough.
This cemetery is named from a brewery which stood opposite and is in fact a collection of small regimental burial grounds, of which Plot III in particular was made by the 22nd Bn Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regt). The eight plots are numbered neither in order of date nor in order of position, and the short rows vary from one grave to fourteen, but they record the names of the units which held the trenches on this front from February 1915 to June 1917, and of some of those which, from June to November 1917, held the forward line won in the Battle of Messines.
HAMS, CHARLES ARTHUR. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 18388. Date of Death: 03/09/1916. Age:30.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 13 A. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of James and Betsy Hams, of Netheravon, Salisbury; husband of Sarah A. Hams, of Rockley, Marlborough, Wilts.
Name: Charles Arthur Hams. Birth Place: Netheravon, Wilts. Residence: Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts
Death Date: 3 Sep 1916. Death Place: France and Flanders. Enlistment Place: Devizes, Wilts.
Rank: A Corporal. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion.
Regimental Number: 18388. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
ANGELL, GEORGE. Rank: Private. Service No: 18390. Date of Death: 22/02/1917.
Grave Reference: Cemetery: OGBOURNE ST. ANDREW CHURCHYARD EXTENSION.
(With the corrected (?) surname spelling, there may be more links to other AngelL casualties as there seem to be quite a few other Wiltshire Reg't losses for that spelling).
(Alternatively, he "might" have more links with O St G!) and who was 18389!!
Pte TJ Eggleton, 21037, 5th Bn Wiltshire Regt
Name: Thomas James Eggleton. Birth Place: Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts. Residence: Marlborough, Wilts.
Death Date: 29 Mar 1917. Death Place: Mesopotamia. Enlistment Place: Marlborough, Wilts.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment. Battalion: 5th Battalion.
Regimental Number: 21037. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Asiatic Theatres .
COOK, CYRIL EDWARD. Rank: Private. Service No: 9612. Date of Death: 15/12/1915. Age: 17.
Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment 5th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 156 to 158. Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Arthur Ernest and Florence Ethel Cook, of 29, Park Rd., Harringay, London.
Name: Cyril Edward Cook. Birth Place: Barking, Essex. Residence: East Finchley, London.
Death Date: 15 Dec 1915. Death Place: Gallipoli. Enlistment Place: Lambeth, London.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment. Battalion: 5th Battalion. Regimental Number: 9612.
Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre.
Entitled to 1915 Star having entered Theatre on 30 June 1915 as well as British War and Victory medals.
The Cook family appear to have no links with O St A as all have London connections up to grandparents.
Perhaps he'd met a local girl whilst in training who had his Name included?
He'd seen almost 6 months of fighting in Gallipoli, too.
Pte EJ Woodroff, 14131 5th Bn Wiltshire Regt
Name: Edwin John Woodruff. Birth Place: Preshute, Wilts. Residence: Manton, Wilts.
Death Date: 10 Apr 1916. Death Place: Mesopotamia. Enlistment Place: Devizes, Wilts.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment. Battalion: 5th Battalion.
Regimental Number: 14131. Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Asiatic Theatres ..
Name: Edwin J Woodroff. Age in 1911: 14. Birth Year: abt 1897. Birth Place: Preshute, Wiltshire.
Civil Parish: Ogbourne St Andrew, Wiltshire. Street address: Ogbourne Maisey , St Andrews Nr Marlborough, Wiltshire
Similar surname, very close Service Number to Wigmore - coincidence or O St A connection?
WOODRUFF, WALTER. Rank: Private. Service No:10543. Date of Death: 17/07/1916. Age: 34.
Grave Reference: I. E. 17. Cemetery: PUCHEVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Woodruff, of Sanway Rd., Byfleet, Surrey.
Pte AEE Wigmore 10545, 1st Bn Wiltshire Regt
WIGMORE, A E E. Rank: Private. Service No: 10545. Date of Death: 22/06/1915.
Grave Reference: XIV. H. 17. Cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY
Name: Albert Ernest Edward Wigmore. Birth Place: Greatham, Hants. Residence: Marlborough, Wilts
Death Date: 22 Jun 1915. Death Place: France and Flanders. Enlistment Place: Marlborough, Wilts
Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion
Regimental Number: 10545. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.
Major (Temp) G D'Arcy Edwardes 1st (Royal) Dragoons and 2ic 13th Battalion Welsh Regt
EDWARDES, G. D'ARCY. Rank: Major. Date of Death: 10/07/1916.
Regiment/Service:1st (Royal) Dragoons
Grave Reference: V. O. 3. Cemetery: DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ .
The village of Mametz was carried by the 7th Division on 1 July 1916, the first day of the Battle of the Somme, after very hard fighting at Dantzig Alley (a German trench) and other points. The cemetery was begun later in the same month and was used by field ambulances and fighting units until the following November. The ground was lost during the great German advance in March 1918 but regained in August, and a few graves were added to the cemetery in August and September 1918. At the Armistice, the cemetery consisted of 183 graves, now in Plot I, but it was then very greatly increased by graves (almost all of 1916) brought in from the battlefields north and east of Mametz and from certain smaller burial grounds, including:-
BOTTOM WOOD CEMETERY, FRICOURT, on the south edge of a small wood between Mametz and Fricourt Woods. This was a field ambulance station for some months from July 1916, and the cemetery contained 104 graves.
MAMETZ GERMAN CEMETERY, in which 12 soldiers were buried by their comrades in July and August 1916. This cemetery was near the crossing of the Fricourt-Maricourt and Mametz-Bray roads.
VERNON STREET CEMETERY, CARNOY, in the valley between Carnoy and Maricourt, at a place called "Squeak Forward Position". 110 soldiers who died in July-October 1916 were buried here by the 21st Infantry Brigade and other units.
Name: George D'arcy Edwards. Death Date: 10 Jul 1916. Rank: Major (T).
Regiment: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line. Battalion: 1st (Royal) Dragoons.
Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Comments: Attached 13th Bn Welch Reg't.
George Joseph Edwardes (born as Edwards) (8 October 1855 – 4 October 1915) was an English theatre manager of Irish ancestry who brought a new era in musical theatre to the British stage and beyond. Edwardes started out in theatre management, soon working at a number of West End theatres. By the age of 20, he was managing theatres for Richard D'Oyly Carte. In 1885, Edwardes became a manager at the Gaiety Theatre with John Hollingshead, who soon retired. For the next three decades, Edwardes ruled a theatrical empire including the Gaiety, Daly's Theatre, the Adelphi Theatre and others, and sent touring companies around Britain and abroad. In the early 1890s, Edwardes recognised the changing tastes of musical theatre audiences and led the movement away from burlesque and comic opera to Edwardian musical comedy.
Edwardes was born at Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England. He was the eldest of four sons and three daughters of James Edwards, comptroller of customs, and his wife, Eleanor Widdup. Edwardes' parents were Roman Catholics from Wexford, Ireland. He attended St James's College, in Clee, after which he was sent to London to take the examination for the Royal Military Academy. However, his cousins were Irish theatre managers John and Michael Gunn, and they obtained a job for him at Leicester's Royal Opera House.
Early career. Michael Gunn met Richard D'Oyly Carte in 1875 and later became a partner in his production company. He and young Edwardes moved to London to work for Carte at the Opera Comique in the late 1870s, with Edwardes being given the trusted position of treasurer. He eventually became Carte's manager at the Opera Comique and then was Carte's first managing director of the Savoy Theatre in 1881, helping to produce several of the famous Gilbert and Sullivan comic operas until 1885. During this time, he added the "e" to his surname. While working at the Opera Comique, Edwardes met his future wife, singer Julia Gwynne, whom he brought to the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, where she became a principal player. The couple married in 1885 and produced three daughters, including one named Dorothy, and a son, D'Arcy.
Pte G Lea, 12434, 10th Bn Glosters
LEA, GEORGE. Rank: Private. Service No: 12434. Date of Death: 13/10/1915.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment 10th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 60 to 64. Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL .
Pte SG Mundy, 20632, 6th Dorsets
MUNDY, S G. Rank: Private. Service No: 20632. Date of Death: 23/08/1918. Age:18.
Regiment/Service: Dorsetshire Regiment 6th Bn.
Grave Reference: IX. B. 5. Cemetery: CONNAUGHT CEMETERY, THIEPVAL.
Additional Information: Son of Alfred George and Phaebe Mundy, of 31, Winterbourne Bassett, Swindon, Wilts.
brother/cousin of SG?
MUNDAY, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Service No:17818. Date of Death: 31/10/1918. Age:36.
Regiment/Service:Dorsetshire Regiment 6th Bn.
Grave Reference: II. E. 15. Cemetery: AWOINGT BRITISH CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of John and Ellen Munday, of Marlborough; husband of Elizabeth Munday, of 31, Salisbury Rd., Marlborough.
Name: William Munday. Birth Place: Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts. Death Date: 31 Oct 1918.
Death Place: France and Flanders. Enlistment Place: Mariborough, Wilts.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Dorsetshire Regiment. Battalion: 6th Battalion. Regimental Number: 17818.
Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.
Pte IJ Smith, 303466, Manchester Regt
SMITH, I J. Rank: Private. Service No: 303466. Date of Death: 01/04/1917.
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment 2nd/8th Bn.
Grave Reference: VI. A. 4. Cemetery:VERMELLES BRITISH CEMETERY
Pte R Smith 43909, 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regt
SMITH, ROBERT. Rank: Private. Service No: 43909. Date of Death: 20/10/1918. Age: 30.
Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Bn.
Grave Reference: V. C. 11. Cemetery: ST. AUBERT BRITISH CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Adopted son of Mrs. S. A. Hale, of Ogbourne St. Andrew, Marlborough, Wilts.
Name: William John Blanchard. Birth Place: Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts. Residence: Marlborough, Wilts.
Death Date: 25 Mar 1918. Death Place: France and Flanders. Enlistment Place: Trowbridge, Wilts.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wilthsire) Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion.
Regimental Number: 21041. Type of Casualty: Died of wounds
Another "new" Name...
Name: Arthur Edward Moore. Birth Place: Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts. Residence: Marlborough, Wilts.
Death Date: 18 Apr 1916. Death Place: Mesopotamia. Enlistment Place: Trowbridge, Wilts.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wilthsire) Regiment. Battalion: 5th Battalion.
Regimental Number: 10216. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Asiatic Theatres.
... another for your WW2 research - a very early casualty, perhaps an accident?)
SAWYER, ROBERT GEORGE. Rank: Gunner. Service No: 918411. Date of Death: 29/11/1939. Age: 23.
Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery 217 Bty., 112 Field Regt.
Grave Reference: North of church in new part. Cemetery: OGBOURNE ST. ANDREW CHURCHYARD EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of Mark and Ellen Sawyer, of Broad Town. (presumably somewhere near O St A?)

Kevin, Sir I take my hat off !! thanks, you have given me a bit more work to follow up and more information to add to my list of names:

I have found out that George was killed 7 weeks before his brother James was killed at Ypres, I haven't started looking for his brother yet,
Also
COOK, CYRIL EDWARD. Rank: Private. Service No: 9612. Date of Death: 15/12/1915. Age: 17.
I found out through the war Diaries of the 5th Wiltshire the following
"Wednesday 15 December 1915 Gallipoli, Suvia.
The Battalion relived by 4/SWB and proceeded to reserve Lines, Pte Cook killed on Bde Fatigue"
I thought this was quite odd, as normally just officers are normally mentioned by name it seems, with OR's as just a number or total, but not in Cyrils case, also 4 days later his unit left Gallipoli !

Yes, I noticed that he was killed shortly before the Gallipoli evacuation, but finding him mentioned by name might mean there is an as yet undiscovered snippet to unearth.

As you say, why specifically mention him (although as a single casualty that may be the reason)?

The variations in spelling for Angel(L) Mundy/MundAy (where have I heard that tune?) and Woodoff/ruff might lead to further links, with the 3 Ogbourne villages being so close there must be considerable cross relationships.

PS: Sorry about SDGW transcription for Wilthsire!!) I did try to correct them, but see I missed one..

I've no knowledge of the villages, but it seems a disproportionately high death toll of the lads....

Probate for Edwardes father and son

Edwardes George of 11 Park Square West Regents Park, Middlesex died 4 October 1915. Probate London 18 September to Robert Evett theatrical manager. Effects £54,144 8s 10d Former Grant 15 November 1915.
Edwardes George D'Arcy of 11 Park Square West Regents Park Middlesex captain (temporary major) His Majesty's Army died 10 July 1916 in France. Probate London 18 December to Cuthbert Arthur Sherbrooke officer in His Majesty's Army; Edwin Joseph Biggs, secretary and Dorothy Julia Gwynne Sherbrooke (wife of the said Cuthbert Arthur Sherbrooke). Effects £35, 346 1s 11d
Hmmm I thought father had died with considerable debts... perhaps that explains how G D'Arcy managed to get through £20,000 in 9 months. Also we can guess that Dorothy Julia was his sister.

Hi, Kevin,

George Edwardes, bought a very large farm house in the village and became sort of 'Lord of the Manor' around this area of Wiltshire there is still a large number of race horse stables, and Gerorge loved his race horses and had links to Horse breeders in Southern Ireland.

His son being a Cavalry man (nick named the 'Major', by the locals even though he was a Lt) was a keen Polo player and took part in the Army Gold Cup in 1914 as a 'Jockey' but I don't know how he was placed or what horse he was riding. I do have a photo of him with his mum.

Apparently Robert Evett the theatrical manager put on two well received shows after Georges death and the profits paid off Georges debts, preventing the sale of some of the theatres and properties owned by George (Not bad for a man that started of with burlesque shows !

also

CASWELL, MARGARET SELINA. Rank: Worker. Service No: 15703. Date of Death: 30/05/1918. Age:22.
Regiment/Service: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps
Pte SJ Caswell 18387, 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regt is her cousin through his dads , brothers side (My Wife found his out last night, the Caswell's are a 'BIG' family)
All three Ogbourne Villages and smaller hamlets are mostly farming communities, I was given this project by someone in the village that has been doing this for some years and when I mentioned about the others, he was deeply moved that he hadn't come across them before or realised they may be related.
I think the annual reading of the names on the 11 will be taking a bit longer this year...
regards
Nick

Interesting thread, partly because of the extra information that has been posted and also because I know the Ogbournes (St George, St Andrew and Maizey) and usually walk through them at least once a year

Yet again, I'm struck by the proportion of deaths in what is, and must have been then, a very small community, even allowing for outlying farms and stables. (And other residents must have been wounded, some with permanent results.) I did try to determine the population in an on-line version of

Kelly's Directory 1915

but searching the Historical Directories website has become very cumbersome. Anyway, as far as I could make out, there's just one population statistic given for all three Ogbournes.

Moonraker

There's no need to feel upset, please tell your friend.

Much more information has become available recently that simply wouldn't have been found however good at IT or research you may have been.

What has been done previously is at least ensuring that those KNOWN from the village(s) HAVE been remembered.

I've simply been lucky enough to find out some useful (hopefully!) information and potential links.

It's the local devotion to find out more that is to be admired, so please pass the message not to be down hearted - they have done the best they could.

What I do hope is by this thread being "active" others may be able to find photographs etc to help with further details.

Totally agree with Kevin about the amount of extra information that has come on line in the lasst couple of years, even the last 6 months has brought a massive surge of new information.

If your friend has been doing it "for years" the chances are that a large amount of his work was just at the local archives so he had no chance of finding out some of the information.

Not had a proper chance to follow up on your D'Arcy Edwardes and the "took part in the Army Gold Cup in 1914 as a 'Jockey' " comment.

But think that this could be the "Grand Military Gold Cup", which is the top race for amatuer jockeys with military connections, and by a very quick search on the internet it looks like he also had runners in the Grand National. Suspect there could be a lot of information out there if you asked on a racing forum.

Evan

Kevin, Sir I take my hat off !! thanks, you have given me a bit more work to follow up and more information to add to my list of names:

I have found out that George was killed 7 weeks before his brother James was killed at Ypres, I haven't started looking for his brother yet,
Also
I found out through the war Diaries of the 5th Wiltshire the following
"Wednesday 15 December 1915 Gallipoli, Suvia.
The Battalion relived by 4/SWB and proceeded to reserve Lines, Pte Cook killed on Bde Fatigue"
I thought this was quite odd, as normally just officers are normally mentioned by name it seems, with OR's as just a number or total, but not in Cyrils case, also 4 days later his unit left Gallipoli !

Chaps,

I found by accident that Pte Cook, had a Cartoon drawn about him in book called "Brave Boys and Girls in Wartime, True Stories" by John Lea, Blackie and Sons, London 1916, I can find the cartoon of him capturing two Turkish Soldiers, but not the story...I will have to see if the local Library can find a copy..

Cheers

Nick

John Lea was a sort of pseudonym, not very different though from his full name John Lea Bricknell.

Scroll about halfway down here (page 29) these are the cartoon pages http://imagesonline.bl.uk/imagemap/?search=The+British+Library+Collection&level=1&cat_id=146&last_cat_id=&page=1069

"This office boy, quite alone, was seen to capture two of the enemy". 9612 Private Cyril Edward Cook of the 5th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment was killed in action on Gallipoli 15 December 1915.

Chaps, I located George Angell's younger brother tonight:

Number: 6850 Rank: Lance Corporal Name: James Angell

Unit(s): 1st Battalion (Duke of Edinburgh’s) Wiltshire Regiment

Enlisted at: ? but in 1911

Theatre of War: France and Flanders, Belgium,

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal

DOB: 1886 Age: 29 POB: Ogbourne St George KIA: 05 May 1915

War Diary: 05 May 1915, for the 1st Wiltshire

Entry: Heavy gun fire to the N. Quiet during day to our front, short bursts of rifle fire by night. One man killed.

Location of War Cemetery: Voormezeele Enclosure No 3, XIV. H. 11, Belgium

Additional Information: Pte G Angel 18390 Younger Brother

Regards

Nick

Sadly I have also found out the details (To follow) of a third brother of Georges that died in India a few days before he did at the Military Hospital , I will put the full details on here later, also a newspaper article of Georges Military funeral in the village, with Military contingent from the nearby Chiseldon camp

regards

Nick

I remember asking...

HAMS, CHARLES ARTHUR. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 18388. Date of Death: 03/09/1916. Age:30.
Additional Information: Son of James and Betsy Hams, of Netheravon, Salisbury; husband of Sarah A. Hams, of Rockley, Marlborough, Wilts.
Name: Charles Arthur Hams. Birth Place: Netheravon, Wilts. Residence: Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts
Death Date: 3 Sep 1916. Death Place: France and Flanders. Enlistment Place: Devizes, Wilts.
Rank: A Corporal. Regiment: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion.
Regimental Number: 18388. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Grave Reference: Cemetery: OGBOURNE ST. ANDREW CHURCHYARD EXTENSION.
(With the corrected (?) surname spelling, there may be more links to other AngelL casualties as there seem to be quite a few other Wiltshire Reg't losses for that spelling).
(Alternatively, he "might" have more links with O St G!) and who was 18389!!

Do you have access to the Church Births Marriages & Deaths register(s)?

Otherwise looking at 1911 and earlier Census returns might throw up brothers in this and other families where the link to O St G has been lost, but will enable you to join the dots and perhaps find a few more, as with the AngeLL family....

Sorry, looks as if there might be more work for you and Toby - but what isn't done this year can be included in an update for subsequent years Remembrance Services.

I think Toby might be inheriting this from you, especially if you work on all 3 Ogbourne villages!

EDIT: So while idly scrolling through the Service Numbers, I found...

Name: John Annetts. Regiment or Corps: Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment. Regimental Number: 10389
but then....
ANNETS, CHRISTOPHER. Rank: Private. Service No: 10390. Date of Death: 18/05/1915.
Regiment/Service:Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 33 and 34. Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL
Is that an O St G surname?

The Ogbourne St Andrew 'Parish', covers Ogbourne St Andrew, Ogbourne Maizey and Rockley, Ogbourne St George is about a 1 mile away, but the families from all Ogbourne areas are interlinked.

Sorry, who is Toby?

Cpl Hams, is also on my list......

Whilst he married Sarah from the village (Rockley), he lived with his family, at Long Street, Enford, Pewsey, Wiltshire, where in 1911, he was a General Labourer at a Racing Stables, the census has his family name as HUMS instead of HAMS...Sarah and the Children must have returned to Rockley whilst he was serving and stayed with her family.

Yes, my mistake, it was a long day yesterday with grand daughter around!

There's another thread i'm working on with chaps son Toby, got confused with you...

and misread the Service Number so ignore my post #20, rushed into it too quickly!

From my research into PURTON (Wiltshire).

CALDWELL, Nelson William.

Enlisted: 31/08/1914, Devizes.

Age given: Born Purton 1894.

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: Son of John and Mary Caldwell, The Turnpike, Rockley Road, Marlborough.

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

10123 1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment, A Coy.

British War Medal, Victory Medal, 15 Star.

19/01/1915 Arrived in France. (detail from MIC).

27/01/1915 Joined the Battalion, a draft of 128 men joined the 1st Battalion at Locre, Belgium.

15/04/1915 Suffered abrasion, sent to a rest camp at Westoutre after discharge from the 8th Field Ambulance. The War Diary records that the Battalion were at rest in Elzenwalle, Belgium on this date.

25/04/1915 Returned to the Battalion.

Between Nelsons arrival date and his date of death the 1st Battalion was in the trenches at Locre, Kemmel, La Clyte, Dickebush, Vermezeel and Elzenwalle in Belgium.

Death / Burial / Memorial details.

Died of wounds received aged 21 on the 20th May 1915. Nelson is buried ELZENWALLE BRASSERIE CEMETERY, I. D. 2. (Flanders, Belgium). Headstone inscription reads IN EVER LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR SON, GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. Wiltshire Regiment records recorded his original grave as Brasserie Ypres - Kemmel Road South ELZENWALLE Village. Marked Grave.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: SDGW listing. 1901 census records the family living in Ogbourne St George.

post-21863-0-33629400-1414788440_thumb.j

Seasider70,

Thanks for the information, the link with him on the Ogbourne St Andrew memorial must be his Mum and Dad. John and Mary Caldwell, The Turnpike, Rockley Road, Marlborough as Rockley is part of the Parish.

I am having a bit of a senior moment what is 'MIC'?

regards

Nick