Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CPL M Tiller, Hampshire Rgt, 12688

Mark Tiller

Hello All, I am after some advice of where to start.....

My wife was away for the weekend, I was on the net and searched my name and found the above WW1 14-18 medal in my name!, from my home county and had to have it !!! no idea if he was a relative but I would like to find out more about this hero

I found the record of the medal on Nationalarchive.gov.uk ...record 372/20/31989 and his first name was Maurice, but couldn't find him on forces war records?

Where is best to go next? regimental museum? other websites?

Thanks in anticipation

Mark Tiller

post-116579-0-10565500-1413922381_thumb.

For research you're best of with Ancestry and FindMyPast.

He served with the 14th Bn and received the British War & Victory Medals. He later also served with the Hampshire's as #42134.

Craig

Contact The Royal Hampshire Museum at museum@serleshouse.co.uk

Rachel will find it for you.

Best of luck,

Jim

Thanks Craig, where did you find the info?

Thanks Remaroc, I found that museum online, I might take a drive down there

That came from the medal rolls.

Craig

Hello again....

I got this from Rachel at the Museum...

"There does not appear to be a surviving Service Record for Cpl Maurice Tiller I’m afraid.

With a Regimental number of 12688 he will have enlisted in September 1914. He was renumbered at some point with 42134, which was a number allotted to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment for transfers from 96th Training Reserve Battalion on 30.10.1917. The training reserve is exactly what it says, a unit of the army reserve for training purposes.

Cpl Tiller served in a theatre of war (France) however with 14th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. This battalion was a Service Battalion and only served on the Western Front.

Without a Service Record it is impossible to say anything exactly about his service except that it will roughly correspond with what the 14thBn did.

We don’t have any personal information on Cpl Tiller but if you know where he came from you could make a search of the local paper to see if he is mentioned.

I would recommend the book ‘The Hampshire Regiment 1914-18’ by C T Atkinson for further reading on the 14th Battalion.

Cpl Tiller should also have had a Victory Medal. I hope that helps. Please do ask any questions.

Regards

Rachel Holmes

Royal Hampshire Regiment Assistant Curator"

from other enquiries he could be,

Maurice Edwin Bailey Tiller, born 1876, Fordingbridge. Died in poole 1943......or

Maurice Tiller, b 1875 Hayshott Sussex, married in 1903 in Fareham.

but I don't know which? the first one is Hampshire so probably more likely, any ideas for next steps?

Hi Mark,

It looks like Maurice Edwin Bailey Tiller is not your man.

Maurice Edwin Bailey Tiller (age 40) of 2 Rose Cottages, Fordingbridge, joined " 3 Wilts MGC" in August 1916) from the Reserve, having served at some previous time with the RAMC. He was a conscientious objector who was exempt from combatant service only by virtue of a tribunal held on 4th August 1916. As such it looks like he was never posted to an active theatre (even as a non combatant), and that would seem to explain the lack of a Medal Index Card for him.

Your other Maurice would seem to be a lot better bet. The 1911 census has him living at 26, Princes Street in Landport, Portsmouth with his wife, and their 3 children.

I got 14 hits cross referencing the surname Tiller and the Hampshire Regiment, but only 1 with a first name beginning with the letter "M" - Maurice.

Whilst there is a bit of an issue of rank it could well be that the medal you have was awarded to:

"TILLER, M., Sergt. 14th Hampshire Regiment.

He volunteered in September 1914, and was engaged on important duties as an instructor until September 1916, when he was drafted to the Western Front. After taking part in the Battles of the Somme and Arras, and many minor engagements, he returned home and served as a machine-gun instructor until his demobilisation in October 1919. He holds the General Service and Victory Medals.

31, Princes Street, Mile End, Landport." (Source: The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918)

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris,

thats fantastic info, Sept 14 ties up with what the museum gave me, I wonder if he was promoted to Sgt when returning as an instructor from the front?

Are the two addresses (26&31 Princes St) married quarters or similar? obviously close to the docks....I looked at it on streetview and it looks like 1950s/60s flats, bombed in WW2 maybe? Still nice to know he made it back! I still don't know if he is related or not, maybe his kids ended up over in the Bournemouth area where I am originally from, did the census give the names of the children?

Thanks again.

Mark

14 Battalion Hampshires were called 1st Portsmouth.

14 Battalion Hampshires were called 1st Portsmouth.

Thanks, I found this on 1914-1918.net

"14th (Service) Battalion (1st Portsmouth)

Formed at Portsmouth on 3 September 1914 by the Mayor and a local Committee. Adopted by War Office on 30 May 1915.

October 1915 : moved to Witley and came under orders of 116th Brigade in 39th Division.

Landed at Le Havre 6 March 1916.

22 March 1918 : disbanded in France, with at least some of the men going to 20th Entrenching Battalion."

Would there be any records for that unit held elsewhere?

Hi Mark,

1911 Census - 26, Princes Street, Landport, Portsmouth

Maurice Tiller. Head. Age 36. Married. Occupation: Block Asphalte [sic] Pavior [sic]. Born: Heyshott, Sussex

Jessie Maude Tiller. Wife. Age 24. Married 7 years. 4 children - 3 still living, 1 dead. Born: Portsmouth

Harry Maurice Tiller. Son. Age 4. Born: Portsmouth

Dorothy Ellen Tiller. Daughter. Age 2. Born: Portsmouth

Jessie Emma Tiller. Daughter. Age 2. Born: Portsmouth

Regards

Chris

The area that included Princes Street was blitzed twice. First by the Luftwaffe in WW2, and subsequently by redevelopment in Portsmouth. The area was historically one of small terraced houses.

Keith

Thanks again for the info Chris, I'm downloading that right now, really would be a long shot if he was in it!

Cheers Keith, "Blitzed by Portsmouth council".. :D ...applies to a lot of councils all over the country

22 March 1918 : disbanded in France, with at least some of the men going to 20th Entrenching Battalion."

Would there be any records for that unit held elsewhere?

Do you mean records for 20 Entrenching Battalion ?

If so,a short War Diary is at Kew,but not yet digital. WO95/905 and covering 1 Feb to 31 Mar 1918 whilst under the charge of XIII Corps.