Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/13th (County of London) Battalion (Kensington)

Julianw

My great great uncle Private Horace C Holder was killed while serving with the 2/13 County of London Regt on 23 Nov 1916. I would like to know where this regiment was serving at the time of his death and what action he might have been involved in. Can anyone help?

Graeme

Thank you you are right it was October 1916

How did you find out when he was drafted?

Regards

Julian

Hi

His Medal Index card available from Ancestry or the N.A. (or rather NOT on MiC. No date indicated on card means after 1/1/16.)

Regards,

Graeme

Julian,

I have a fiar bit of history of the Division (60th London Division). Horace must have been one of the last to fall from the battalion. The division was relieved between 23 and 26 October. They were to go into general reserve before marching to the Somme. Before they could do so they received orders to Salonika.

Back to France and the 2/13th Battalion arrived at Le Havre on the morning of 22 June 1916. Within two weeks they were in the line and suffering casualties.

Now, According to Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) Horace Died of Wounds. So, he wasn't killed on that day.

I will see if there is anything else I can drag up.

Cheers Andy.

Andy

Thank you. It would be very interesting to find out when he was wounded. Presumably there might be some medical records available?

Regards

Julian