Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment - 14 August 1918

Flamstead

Through the help of another Forum Member (thanks Redbourn) I have just discovered the name of another local man who lost his life in the Great War.

Private Walter Machon Hornby, G/29704, of the 10th Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment was born in Flamstead, Hertfordshire, in 1869. He served with the 10th Battalion in France in 1918 and is recorded on SDiGW and the CWGC as having been killed in action on the 14th August 1918 (at the apparent age of 49).

He is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.

Would any kind forum member have any sources of information (Regimental History / Battalion War Diary etc.) that might be able to help me understand what happened to Walter and the rest of his Battalion on the days leading up to, and including, the 14th August 1918 ?

Simon

You may already know this

He was at Bedford County School aged 12. A boarder? As shown in 1881 Census

Living The Bury Farm Flamstead. 1891 Census

Shown as Retired Farmer living at 9 Klondyke Cottages Luton Road Harpenden aged 32 yrs. Was he sick? 1901 Census

Lived with wife and children at 57 Lawrence Road Ealing Mddx working as a Dairy Manager. 1911 Census

Simon

I've sent you a P.M.

Stuart.

johnboy, Stuart and Graeme,

Many thanks for your messages and for the extra information contained within them - it all helps.

Regards,

Simon

Stuart

Can you not post the info?

Sorry johnboy

Its hand written, haven't got the time to transcribe.

Stuart

OK. It is just that as others have tried to help it would be good to let them have the info as well.