Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sharing Research

Harper

As part of a Great War project team I have written 2 essays/articles (approx 5 pages each) about men who contributed to the Imperial war effort. More articles will be forthcoming from the team as a whole.

Is there somewhere on this site, or elsewhere, to share the results of our research? It seems a great waste of effort not to make the information available as widely as possible.

Thanks

Harper

in the soldiers section if its about an individual is a good a place as any

I believe this is what should be done.

What's the point of amassing information, collating statistics and making deductions if you keep it all to yourself?

All too often we hear that so and so was an expert in his field or had a wealth of stories about XYZ and on their death it's all lost....

There are Pals here who must have gone to prodigious trouble, copying War Diaries, building up statistics and a colossal amount of information that they then make freely available and share and then you have those building backgrounds that we only know of, never really get the in depth picture.

I'm working with someone on a project which we both started independently then found we were treading similar paths yet approaching it from different aspects.

Together we have something better than we could have done individually, because we bounce ideas, thoughts and reasoning off each other, for each to test their preferred way.

We frequently pause and say "Wow! I'd never have done/thought or found THAT out!" or it would have taken each of us far longer to get to where we are now.

The whole is definitely greater than its parts, so "Well Done" to all who do share their research findings.

If no one else knows about it, it's not KNOWLEDGE just space on a computer or a bundle of paper that someone else might just throw away.

Harper, you could produce your own mini-website. It can be done completely without cost. Register as a user at Wordpress; you will have a space of your own; you can choose from many templates to make it look nice; and you can post whatever information in there that you like. If you use Facebook, Twitter or other social media you can set it so that when you add something to your site is automatically also posted out to those things. Then publicise your site by letting GWF and other places know its address. All pretty straightforward, quick, and very effective if you manage it well.

Chris and Coldstreamer

Many thanks for your suggestions. I think that an approach combining both solutions will be in order.

Due to the size restrictions on attachments (250KB), the idea of uploading the research to the "Soldiers" section is impractical. My essays with photographs are at least 1500KB in PDF format.

So I'll have to set up a mini-website, as Chris kindly suggested, and post a notice about each essay in "Soldiers" or other sections as appropriate.

But first some rechecking and editing is needed.

Thanks again

Harper

I would echo Chris's suggestion of wordpress. I use it for half a dozen sites and I've not had a problem with it - for free it'll do what you want.

Craig

Harper

I read this thread because I had a similar idea to yours. What do I do with the findings of my research? I have decided that publishing it is not an option but I would like others to see it. I will be putting the hard copy in the local Heritage Centre for people to view but I would like it to be available to a wider audience; mainly in the hope that I can get more information to add to the material I have.

Could I ask you to let the Forum know the result of your experience with Wordpress, if you go down that line? It looks a good way to do things but I'm at least a month away from finishing and you may have useful, beginners, knowledge by then.

Many thanks

Garth

This is a great thread as I have been thinking about the same thing myself Harper, as Kevin makes a very, very good point (especially the last line!!)

I had planned to do what Garth was planning with passing it onto the Heritage centre, but thank you Chris and Craig, I'm going to look into the Wordpress route

Have a good weekend all

Cheers

Jim