Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Horse Regiment

Dost

I'm looking for help please on the history of the Welsh Horse Regiment.

My grandfather, William Guy, is shown on his marriage certificate as a "Sergeant in the Welsh Horse Regiment" in October 1915 and a family member has told me he was Batman to Lord Kensington. He was born around 1887. This is all I know about him.

I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that, if he was already a Sergeant in 1915, he must have come from another regiment (he wasn't from Wales), so I've been trying to find out which regiments the men came from and where they went after the regiment was disbanded.

I have tried the National Library of Wales and they suggested I contact the Great War Forum for help.

Many thanks

D

Thanks Graeme. I have spotted the Long, Long Trail and Wiki as they came up when I searched the web. Thanks for the war diary info too - fingers crossed that it gets digitised sometime.

D

There is no William Guy in the Medal Cards connected to the Welsh Horse so he didn't serve overseas with the 1st Line unit. If there is family lore of overseas service (Ireland was a 'home' posting') then it will be with another Regiment etc.

There is a book called Owen Roscomyl and the Welsh Horse by Bryn Owen which is a reasonable account of the Welsh Horse. It names all the NCOs in the Squadrons making up 1/1. William Guy is not named. It has a couple of Only 6 quid. I might have missed his name on other pages but, not only that, it does explain a bit about the 2/1 and 3/1 lines.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/277-1013811-7601109?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=owen%20roscomyl

Hywyn

The only one in Royal Welsh Fusiliers was William Charles Guy Pte 62144 who served in France with 4th Garrison battalion and 26th Garrison Battalion. (i.e he didn't go to RWF via Montgomery Yeo.)

Thanks Hywyn for looking this up for me. I'm very grateful for your help and info.

I have nothing to suggest that he went overseas and maybe even being a Batman is a red herring. He married in October 1915 which would be after the regiment went abroad anyway I think (is that right?).

Do you know if there are lists of the Welsh Horse men who stayed at home available and if so, where I could get/view them?

Thanks again.

D

Where did the marriage take place? It may help with what units in the area,unless he had a home marraige. Every clue helps.

As i'm not ruling out A welsh horse regiment not The Welsh horse. The glamorgan and pembs yeomanry was large and got about. There might even be a link with the Kensington family and the Pembs yeomanry.

He married in his wife's home village - Baltonsborough in Somerset - so that doesn't help much.

I've just looked at their marriage certificate and it does just say "Sergeant Welsh Horse Regiment" so yes, you may have come up with something there! I'll have another search around the web with that in mind.

Many thanks

Around in a circle here..........................

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?inst_id=1&coll_id=78488&expand=

This may be of use in regards to Lord Kensington so Welsh Horse connection to the Lord IS there not the yeomanry units. So he may of been Styled Welsh Horse as he was the batman to the Lord.

EDIT already been covered above. Have you asked about this file? Hence the staff sending you this way? You will have to vist the fine town and read the files.

Hi

Yes, this is the file I asked about. They had a quick look at the 1915 diary and couldn't find anything (I will have to look myself in detail sometime). However, they don't have a list of members of the regiment so couldn't check to see if he was listed. He's proving rather difficult!

Thanks for your help.

D

Shame as I was staying near aber last week. I had spare time with the rain and could of gone through the file in detail.

His claim to be a batman to the Lord appear to be true. However Sgt is a bit high rank to be one, even today only Highest General would get a "House Sergent". Maybe your chap was on what is the black econmy and follwed the Lord about abet a bit of the books.

What makes you say that his claim to be batman is true? Have you found some info that I've missed?

I too thought that Sergeant was a bit too high a rank - maybe he was trying to impress his new family!

Shame I missed out on your visit to Aberystwyth - that would have been great.

D