Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruits in Whittlesey Cambridgeshire

Ancre1917

When do Forum pals think that this photo was taken? From the clothing and shadows it looks like late summer. But what year? If it was 1914, some of the people looking on seem vaguely detached to me as if this is nothing to do with them. Yet people are there, so they were clearly interested in what was happening.

Are the lapel badges the recruits are wearing a sign that they have volunteered?

Any thoughts?

Richard

post-86421-0-92000400-1413487309_thumb.j

I imagine in all great events there is a lot of milling around kicking your heels! But I can't help on the date.

It certainly looks like Whittlesey main square looking west. The two buildings ahead are still there. The frontage of the one on the left has hardly changed. The building you can just see on the left is now the George Hotel (Wetherspoons pub)

Steve.

I work in Whittlesey and confirm what Stebie says

• Admin

It says on the card 'RECRUITS OFF FOR FOREIGN SERVICE' (caps on the card towards top right) so I'd imagine it was September 1914

One soldier in uniform and a number of women looks like a rank of four behind the soldier; one patriotic type waving a Union Jack!

The Cambridge Independent Press dated 11 September 1914 noted '400 men have come forward to bring the Foreign Service Battalion (of the Cambridgeshire Regiment) up to strength'.

Ken