Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier's Wills 1850-1986

TEW

A .gov website that finds Soldiers' Wills 1850-1986. A basic and advanced search available, year must be given. Results are sparse and give Surname - Forenames - Regt. No. - Date of Death and the 'Add to basket'. Cost is £10.

Not sure if it's of more use to genealogists or military research or the area in between. As a test I searched for an individual posted on the forum recently and found David Charles Sumner and his Will

Not the same list as Ancestry's National Probate Calender.

TEW

It probably won't be the same for everyone, but I got a letter from the website from my great great uncle to his sister, my great grandmother, which was accepted as being his will. For me it gives an insight into the mind of a pre war regular just before he set off. He was killed about 6 weeks later.

Accepted as being the will of Albert Lodder a letter sent to Mrs J[ohn] Mitchell, Newlyn, The Lower Road, Bemerton, Salisbury

"Tidworth

My Dearest Lue [Lucy]

Now that we are off must write this letter have left it until now thinking perhaps it would not be necessary, and am afraid to say what I want to to Ha [Hannah another sister] for fear of upsetting her

Its just about my few belongings

In case I go under should like you to get/buy a ring for Daisy just as a keepsake. Dont want her to feel bound in any way by it

Any thing else you can share out, or do what you like with, but should like Jack to have the bike

There will be £5. 0.0 to draw from the Independent Order of Rechabites & my settling up from the army ought to be about £20. 0.0 as I dont intend drawing any more money than I really want whilst Im away

Well I hope all Ive written will be useless & you wont have to do as I ask, still its better to look at things as they really are sometimes

I dont regret being a soldier neither am I afraid to go, but it hurts a bit leaving you all & its worse leaving Daisy, often wonder what she will do if the worst, or ought I to say the best happens & I dont come back again

Best love to you all

From your loving brother

Albert Lodder"

Regards

Chris

There is also an "official" cover sheet showing name, service number, rank, unit, place and date of death

Edited by clk