Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Lincolnshire Regiment - Grimsby Chums photos

temptage

I know its a long shot ............ but does anybody have any photos of members of the 10th Lincolnshire Regiment who died in the Great War.

They are needed for a very exciting project that I am working on.

p m sent.

RW

Details sent on p m system.

Just popping to the Hull archive to do some digging on a Scawby Brook lad, an-ex Hull copper who joined the 4th Coldstream Guards and transferred to the

24th (Tyneside Irish) Northumberland Fusiliers as an officer KIA 23/10/1917.

Will have a look if there is anything pops up.

RW

• 4 months later...

Hello

My Great Uncle William Creasey was a member of the 10th Lincolnshire Regiment. He was not an original Chum but his details are as follows.

Private 21384. 10th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 28th August 1917. Born Metheringham Fen, enlisted Sleaford and resident Metheringham Fen, Lincs. Commemorated THIEPVAL MEMORIAL. Pier and Face 1C.

I have copies of his Attestation and Service records and a copy of a letter sent from Major John Kennington advising my Great Grand Parents of his death.

I also have a photograph of him in uniform if it is of any help.

Keith

• 11 months later...

Hello Temptage

Further to my message above I have now obtained another group photo of soldiers in uniform which includes my Great Uncle William as above presumably of the 10th Lincolnshire Regiment.

This has come from another of my relatives and has been written on and an arrow has been added to identify William. Strangely though, and in the opinion of my father and one of his half cousins, it is case of mistaken identity as the wrong person has been arrowed. We believe an adjacent soldier is actually the real William Creasey.

If you wish me to email you a copy for you collection please let me know. Best Regards.

Keith that would be great as I may be able to identify some of the other soldiers in the photo. Do you still have my email address?

Hello Tony, I have just found the email I sent you last February so I assume that email address will be still current. Regards Keith.

Yes thank you. I did reply by email but it sounds like its not arrived. Look out for an errant email in about 3 months time. Of the other faces, I recognise some of them from other photos of the Regiment but unfortunately I can put any names to them.

The location can either be at Brocklesby Park (unlikely), Ripon (slightly more likely) or Sutton Veny (most likely) where the Chums joined up with the rest of the 34th Brigade. Most group photos of the Chums were taken at the latter.