Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monchy au Bois - two farmers seriously injured by exploding shell

margaretdufay

Wasn't sure where to post this but thought it might be of interest as I think it highlights the dangers that still exist here, even for people who have lived and farmed here all their lives.

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/monchy-au-bois-deux-blesses-dont-un-grave-suite-a-ia29b6450n2419562

Mags

Needs to be printed out and stapled to all those who think it OK to bring back unexploded items and say oh well they're inert. Just where and with how big staples I'll leave to individual judgement.

Thanks Mags. As I understand it (French not my best) there were two shells?

My translation skills lead me to believe the 50 year old son injured first after burning / clearing hedge at edge of field. His 70 year old father going to his aid was hurt in a second explosion by another shell.

Later advice is given that includes not leaving shells in the sun.

TT

I wonder just how long the debris of the war will remain a danger? I read a while ago of a chap who was killed tampering with a cannon shell he found at Gettysburg

I wonder just how long the debris of the war will remain a danger? I read a while ago of a chap who was killed tampering with a cannon shell he found at Gettysburg

Are you sure it wasn't a more modern shell from the old 1920s tank training camp that was at Gettysburg and commanded by Eisenhower? Any explosive shells fired at the battle would be black powder filled and with non percussion based fuses (you'd have to apply a flame, spark or red hot tool to set one off.)

Are you sure it wasn't a more modern shell from the old 1920s tank training camp that was at Gettysburg and commanded by Eisenhower? Any explosive shells fired at the battle would be black powder filled and with non percussion based fuses (you'd have to apply a flame, spark or red hot tool to set one off.)

he was trying to open it with a blow lamp? I believe, well he opened it alright, everywhere in his garage !

he was trying to open it with a blow lamp? I believe, well he opened it alright, everywhere in his garage !

Ah not so much a red hot tool as a red hot fool

Black powder can remain potent for a long time - there was a case some years ago of some late idiot pulling the trigger of a flintlock pistol whilst looking down the barrel, ("its old so its got to be safe right?" Wrong enough powder had leaked through the touch hole into the pan to fire the load still in the barrel centuries after it had been loaded.)

One British shell, one German. Adinfer Wood is an interesting place, left to grow as forest so largely as it was in 1918. Full of German gun-pits and blockhouses. One of Ernst Jünger's old stamping grounds. It is private property, but there is a public footpath through it and a walk around the perimeter repays the effort.

I got back from the Somme about two week ago. In one field alone, we found two UX shells and two UX Mills Grenades.

Black powder is considered one of the most dangerous explosives still in use when in bulk. It is impact, friction, static electricity and heat sensitive. Even though It's a low explosive it has a Compatability Group of L. compatability Group L being items presenting a such a serious hazard It cannot be stored or moved with other Ammunition..

This and it's ease of abuse is why any number of of us have been trying to get a ban on Fireworks, (seen to many injuries and deaths due to their mis-use!).

I did however find a lovely German 77mm shell in Belgium the week before last that was leaking chemical. Ahhh, a great EOD discussion ensued with the DOVO, ending an excellent week of digging.

Rod

Good luck Rod!