Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any guesses on date?

GRANVILLE

Have just got my SMLE back and thought I'd take a closer look at some of it's numbers etc. The first hurdle is it's date - any thoughts?

David

post-23614-0-38570900-1412786447_thumb.j

post-23614-0-39272700-1412786454_thumb.j

Me too.

What is the serial prefix that may help (although Enf. produced so many in 1916 (or the only other real competitor 1918) that it may not narrow it down much.

Chris

Thanks chaps. I could not make my mind up so thought some of you experts might like a guess.

David

I have both a 1916 & a 1918 ENFIELD made SMLE & i would say it's 1918 but they are so unclear i cant say it with 100% certainty but i am pretty sure.

I have both a 1916 & a 1918 ENFIELD made SMLE & i would say it's 1918 but they are so unclear i cant say it with 100% certainty but i am pretty sure.

So as movie mogul Samuel Goldwyn said "that's a definite maybe"

experts might like a guess

Most experts don't guess!!

Actually they do all the time - never heard the term "an expert guess"? google it!

This one looks the same and is captioned 1916

attachicon.gif1916_lee_enfield_5 (2).jpg

Actually I wouldn't say it looks the same at all! look at the * for example, different style is being used.

I too have both so I will go and look now - this, and 5th Batt's comments have shaken my guess.

Edit: ahh well here is an 1918.....same style of lettering

post-14525-0-75914900-1412800529_thumb.j post-14525-0-27529200-1412802159_thumb.j

Going to have to dig more to get to the 1916, but it's looking more this 1918 style...

I may have to change my guess to I don't know!

Actually I wouldn't say it looks the same at all! look at the * for example, different style is being used.

I too have both so I will go and look now - this, and 5th Batt's comments have shaken my guess.

Edit: ahh well here is an 1918.....same style of lettering

attachicon.gifWWIMkIIIstar.jpg attachicon.gif1918.jpg

Going to have to dig more to get to the 1916, but it's looking more this 1918 style...

I may have to change my guess to I don't know!

If asked to choose at gun point I think I'd agree with you that it looks like 1918 ........ buuutttt

Knowing little about these only what I have read in these threads, if you took the front hand guards off, Won`t there be a date on the barrel ? Unless it has been refurbished and rebarreled ?

John

Knowing little about these only what I have read in these threads, if you took the front hand guards off, Won`t there be a date on the barrel ? Unless it has been refurbished and rebarreled ?

John

I would suspect mine has been re-barreled in it's life time, there are various stamp marks & numbers under the top hand guard, one indicates it's been a '410 in its time. Can anyone anyone advise which mark would pin down the date of the barrel?

Also, is there any particular reason why the last digit of the date stamping is often so hard read? If one assumes it was 1916 is it simply a reflection of the speed & haste with which they were being turned out at the time?

David

I would suspect mine has been re-barreled in it's life time, there are various stamp marks & numbers under the top hand guard, one indicates it's been a '410 in its time. Can anyone anyone advise which mark would pin down the date of the barrel?

Also, is there any particular reason why the last digit of the date stamping is often so hard read? If one assumes it was 1916 is it simply a reflection of the speed & haste with which they were being turned out at the time?

David

The date on the barrel is usually low down on the left hand side of the barrel (as you hold the rifle) - it is usually visible but is sometimes below the wood line of the fore-end. (Edit: it is in the same format as appears on bayonets etc '17 = 1917, '18=1918 etc)

On the stamping - I think out of all of mine the date stamp is in question on just a few. (fewer than 5%) so I am not sure I agree that it is "often" an issue... I think speed of production is one factor in the general sloppiness of markings, also the degree of wear (in service/use this area is in contact with hands etc quite a lot), and the surface they are stamped on is also slightly curved so towards the edges it is "lower" which I think often means the first and last parts of the stamping are sometimes fainter (this is more noticeable on E nfield D) - and these things are 100 years old or thereabouts after all!

On WWII produced No1 rifles (manufactured under the dispersal scheme) the last two digits (year) were added separately by hand so the main (roll?) stamp is crown / 19__ /ShtLE/MkIII* and then 40/41/42/43/44 are added by hand - in these cases the hand stampings (which vary in neatness!) are often more obvious than the rest.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons