Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Batt, Kimgs Own (Royal Lancaster) Rgt

peteg

On March 4th, 1915 my grandfather, Sgt Henry Houghton (6704) Kings Own (Royal Lancaster)Rgt was killed, apparently by a sniper at "Railway Barricade". Whilst I have some info from 4th Div records for that date (9 casualties), I cannot track down any Kings Own records. I have info for Feb 1915 and April 1915 for the Batt / Rgt but none for March. It's like March didn't exist.

I have Cowpers books but apart from one one brief mention of "Railway Barricade" there is no reference to any action there. I believe that the area was a "quiet" area and the trenches close together, I can also understand that during the events of war all casualties may not be recovered and lost during ensuing events, but I cannot understand there being no K.O records for that time.

I have some of Henrys pre-war service info, but none for his war service.

Can anyone please help ?

He was killed at Le Touquet, near Ploegsteert. With regard to the "railway barricade" there is a cemetery called "Le Touquet Railway Crossing" nearby. The Battalion were manning trenches at Le Touquet and it was a 'quiet' area apart from spasmodic shelling and sniping which of course took its toll of casualties.

From Winter 1914 to Spring 1915 the 1/King's Own alternated with the 2/Lancashire Fusiliers in this sector. Indeed they had only just gone back into the trenches a couple of days before Sergeant Houghton was killed (evening of 2nd March).

Extract from the "Lancashire Fusiliers Annual."

1st March.- In trenches. Enemy were active with rifle grenades. 1 killed and 5 wounded.

2nd March. – More activity with rifle grenades. 1 killed, 7 wounded. Our supply of rifle grenades has run out and cannot be replaced yet. Relieved by the King’s Own in the evening.

3rd, 4th and 5th March.- In billets 2nd Lieutenant Macdonald and 26 men joined the Battalion. 1 killed and two men wounded on working parties.

6th, 7th, 8th and 9th March. – In trenches. Rather a quiet tour until evening of relief when 5 men were wounded, 4 of them by rifle grenades.

10th, 11th, 12th and 13th March.- In billets. “C” Company inspected by Brigadier. Captain Luker injures his knee owing to his horse coming down.

14th March. – 4 men wounded.

15th and 16th March.- Three men wounded. Reinforcements 122 men joined the Battalion.

17th March.- Six men wounded, mostly rifle grenades. Battalion 70 over strength.

18th, 19th, 20th and 21st March. –In billets. 2nd Lieutenant Granger joins the Battalion, but went to hospital two days later. Brigadier inspects “D” Company. Snow storm on the 19th.

I'm afraid I dont have a copy of this publication (Lancashire Fusiliers Annual), but it does contain a couple of photos of the area. From what I can gather it was mainly slit trenches and sandbag barricades joining up ruined buildings - as per Cowper, 'face page 30'. Most of the casualties from the period are buried in either Tancrez Farm or Strand Military Cemetery.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

• 6 months later...
Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

My maternal great-grandfather served in the 1/KORLR, peteg, so he'll have known your grandfather.

On March 4th, 1915 my grandfather, Sgt Henry Houghton (6704) Kings Own (Royal Lancaster)Rgt was killed, apparently by a sniper at "Railway Barricade". Whilst I have some info from 4th Div records for that date (9 casualties), I cannot track down any Kings Own records. I have info for Feb 1915 and April 1915 for the Batt / Rgt but none for March. It's like March didn't exist.

I have Cowpers books but apart from one one brief mention of "Railway Barricade" there is no reference to any action there. I believe that the area was a "quiet" area and the trenches close together, I can also understand that during the events of war all casualties may not be recovered and lost during ensuing events, but I cannot understand there being no K.O records for that time.

Can anyone please help ?

You can see the exact position of the "Railway barricade" on the "Frelinghien 1915" map on THIS PAGE.

Dave.

Can anyone please help ?

this is all i have on your g/father,landed in france 19th jan 1915,died of wounds 4th march 1915,1914-15 star,war+victory medal

this is all i have on your g/father,landed in france 19th jan 1915,died of wounds 4th march 1915,1914-15 star,war+victory medal

captain may have solved the riddle for you,he could have been wounded on the 2nd or 3rd and died on the 4th.