Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified York & Lancaster Soldier 1914

Seadog

In the year 2006 in Beaucamps-Ligny France the remains of a Y & L soldier were found and buried as an Unknown in Rue David Military Cemetery. Members will be aware that in 2009 the remains of 15 Y & L soldiers were found of which 11 have been identified. It has come to light that the 2006 soldier was found about 500 yards away from the 15 and that he was most certainly killed in the same action and on the same day as the 15 soldiers. In the ultimately successful process to identify the 15 DNA samples were obtained from relatives and I understand that these profiles are still retained by the MOD.

The question then is should the 2006 soldiers remains be exhumed for the purpose of obtaining a DNA sample which will then be compared with those still available. The CWGC state that it is not their policy to exhume remains except in special circumstances such as removal to another cemetery due to subsidence etc, however I would contend that this is a very special case whist accepting that there will be views both ways on this issue. I believe that this is a special case for imagine the feelings of the possible relatives of this one soldier who have already given a DNA sample and now see that whilst great efforts have been made to identify the majority of those found this man is so far being denied that opportunity.

Norman

PS All the facts in the above have been confirmed with the JCCC

Not always a hard and fast rule as applied by the CWGC, for in 2004 the remains of a New Zealand soldier were exhumed from Caterpillar Valley CWGC and taken to New Zealand to be reburied as their Unknown Warrior I also have knowledge of an exhumation being carried out to ascertain whether a war grave contained one or two sets of remains. This case is complicated due to the investigative techniques which were applied so successfully in respect of 15 soldiers found just three years after the one man was buried as an Unknown.

The doubt must always be there as to just who this man is and whether there could be a match to the available DNA data. I believe it would be better to address this problem by exhuming the remains and whilst I am no expert in these matters perhaps the DNA extraction could be carried out in-situ resulting in as little disturbance to the remains as possible.

Norman