Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albury War Graves

Nuova110

I am looking to identify a number of BEF tagged headstones of Service men who have obviously served in UK forces but are buried here in Albury in regional New South Wales.

These headstone are dated in the 1920' and 30's.

I am seeking assistance with a headstone marked

B E F

Stanley Whittle

585 M T COY R A S C

D: 10/09/1932

I hope a forum member can assist with iD and medals if any

Cheers Chris.

cant see a listing for a medal card for ww1

I can't either, nor anything close.

There is the possibility that he didn't join 585 Company until post-war and did not have a medal entitlement. According to Michael Young, 585 Coy was re-numbered in 1923, so was in existence for some time after hostilities ceased.

Do you have any idea on his age, or origins?

Phil

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

I have found a local newspaper report which indicated after a period of drinking - comitted apparent suiside. Age reported as 44 ys

Death in 1932 - so born circa 1888. I thought with the headstone paid for by our Albury RSL [in the 1930's] for this English ex soldier he would have been a good candidate for a WW I returned serviceman.

Cheers and thanks again for your assistance Chris.

Chris - is there a similar headstone for his brother Arthur - there may have been some confusion over the years. Looking at the report on Trove (Albury Banner and Wodonga Express of 6th March 1931) - it was apparently Arthur who committed suicide by taking poison on 13th February 1931

Stanley is recorded in NSW BDMs as dying a year later - as per the date on the headstone

In the absence of a card for Stanley - there is a medal card for an Arthur Whittle (T1/677) who was a Driver with 2 Company, 5 Division Transport. Army Service Corps (which had the Royal added later) when he entered France as part of the original BEF on 16th August 1914. No proof of course that it is the same one but quite a co-incidence at least

What do you think????