Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What uniform is this?

Guest cybergranny

Can anyone tell me please what uniform this chap is wearing??

It would be WW1

Regards

He is wearing "Hospital Blues", which were worn by soldiers in hospital in WW1.

He looks as if he could be in the Lancashire Fusiliers. Maybe you could post an enlargement of his cap badge?

Guest cybergranny

Sorry, it just goes 'fuzzy'when I try to enlarge it.

He did come from Manchester so a Lancashire Fusilier would be a good bet. Would he have driven an ambulance or have been an Orderly?

Also would he have served abroad? and where could I find records of his service??

Thanks again.

Would he have driven an ambulance or have been an Orderly?

Hi Cybergranny,

Your man would have been a recovering casualty rather than a member of the hospital staff.

Gary

Definitely Lancashire Fusiliers. We may be able to help if you can give us his name?

Rgds

Tim D

Guest cybergranny

That's brilliant Gavin, with all this information could it mean that I could find his service record? and if so How?

best wishes...........Cybergranny

Guest cybergranny

I have got that Tim, thank you soooooo much............My Aunt will be delighted to know more about her Father. Hopefully I can now look for his service record.??

Any help appreciated. Regards.....................Cybergranny

Guest cybergranny

Many, many thanks for all your help. I put a photograph on this site to discover what my ancestor was doing during WW1, purely by the uniform he was wearing. Thanks to your kindness I have discovered that he was Pte 243373, in the 6th (Territorial) Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers!!!!!!

I shall try to discover more, but if not I am still most grateful for everyones help.

Kind Regards...............................Cybergranny

Did you download his Medal Index Card? It will give his medal entitlement and if he served before 1st January 1916 should have the date he entered a theatre of war. My grandfather also served with the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Rgds

Tim

Guest cybergranny

No Tim, it just had a series of numbers next to the Victory Medal. Sadly no dates. So I don't think I will be able to find out more.(I am very appreciative for what has been discovered about Mathew) I read the passage re tracing Grandad on the Long, long trail site but it doesn't really go further than tracing to the medals. If you have any suggestions I would be grateful?

Regards......................Sylvia

Sylvia,

If you send me details of the series of numbers shown next to the Victory Medal, I'll try and check the Medal Roll for you on my next visit to the National Archives. It might have some additional details.

Regards

Gavin

Guest cybergranny

Thank you Gavin that would be most kind of you.

Roll.............H/1/10/B33

Page...........6830

I must say I am overwhelmed with the help I have had from this site.

Thanks again........................Sylvia

Hello Sylvia,

I was at the National Archives today, and have copied the Medal Roll entry for Pte Greatorex. If you email me your address, I post it on to you. The roll reference is actually H/1/101B33 which translates into WO329/981. It shows that 243373 Pte Matthew Henry Greatorex served with the 2/7th Battalion of the Lancashire Fusilers, and not the 6th as I had thought!

The regimental number is listed as being in a batch issued to the 6th, so I suppose it is possible that he transferred battalions before going overseas?

The 2/7th (Territorial) Battalion was in the 197th Brigade, 66th Division. It went to France on 28.2.1917.

Regards

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I also have a query for you. My grandfather originally served with the 9th Battalion LF and was transferred after they were disbanded in February 1918. I know he served with the 1/5th Battalion as I have a post card written to him by his sister when he was in hospital in late 1918 and then with the 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion from where he was discharged.

In the VM/BWM medal roll he is listed as 9th Battalion but every single man on the same page is 1/6th Battalion. Would this mean he served with the 1/6th Battalion also? I have previously been told it would not and is just a coincidence.

Rgds

Tim

Sorry Tim, I don't know the answer to that one. The new Territorial service numbers issued in 1917 were in the range 200001 - 240000 for the 1/5th, and 240001 - 280000 for the 1/6th, which might help. However, as Pte Greatorex illustrates, it might not be wise to put too much faith in this.

Regards

Gavin

Guest cybergranny

Many thanks Gavin, can't thank you enough.......again.

The family will be delighted when I send the information.

Regards....................Sylvia

ps. I have emailed my address to you.