Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Christmas Cards

Neil Mackenzie

GWF CHRISTMAS CARDS FOR 2014

Please support the Forum

The first ever Great War Forum Christmas cards are now available for sale with all profits going towards our running costs.

The card this year has the theme of the 1914 Christmas Truce and the wording inside the card is 'Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year'.

Xmas_Card_2014_2.jpg

Each card is 16 cm x 11.5 cm (approx 6.5 inches x 4.75 inches) in size and there are 10 cards and envelopes in each pack. Each pack costs £4 plus postage and packaging. If you are based in the UK the cost, including postage, will be as follows:-

1 pack: £5.20
2 packs: £9.60
3 packs: £15.00
4 packs: £19.00

If you want more than 4 packs or require postage outside the UK then please let Keith Roberts or I know and we will advise you of the price.

Please send your payment via one of the options on the donations page ensuring that you are clearly identifiable as the source of the payment - don't forget we might only know you by a user name. Then send a Personal Message (PM) to Neil Mackenzie confirming your order, stating how many packs you have paid for and your full postal address.

Orders will start to be posted out from Monday 6th October. and approximately weekly from then. Keith will send a PM confirmation when they have been posted.

Many thanks for your support.

Neil

I have posted out the first orders this afternoon and sent PM's confirming that.

Keith

Neil,

I bought some at the GWF Conference and was really pleased with the purchase.

Mind you, I did say I would probably lose them and have to buy some more but I've just found them again.

Good news, well, for me anyway!

Hooray.

The printer has negotiated the right to use the image from the copyright owner. They have obviously contracted with others, and to have insisted that they did not do that would probably have made the price one that was beyond our reach. If we repeat the idea of a card next year, we will take the point into account.

Keith

I was slightly surprised and a little taken aback to see this:

http://soldierscharityshop.org/collections/xmas-2014-brochure/products/the-christmas-truce

...exactly the same card

When the idea of producing the Forum’s first Christmas card was initially discussed back in January, we were unaware the Soldiers’ Charity intended to produce the same card for Christmas 2014. It is also most likely they were unaware we were considering using the same image on our card.

The image of the Christmas Truce, drawn by A C Michael, had originally appeared in the Illustrated London News of 9th January 1915 and the Mary Evans Picture Library owns the copyright. As Keith has rightly pointed out, the Almanac Gallery has negotiated the right to use the image from the copyright owner, but they have no agreements in place for exclusive contracts.

The Soldiers’ Charity produced the same card in 2013 and when discussing a card for 2014 some GWF members thought it more appropriate to use the Christmas Truce 1914 image to mark the Centenary this year. I see the Soldier’s Charity has decided to sell their cards at a slightly higher price, and I am sure our members will wish them well in their good cause through the sales of their cards.

Anne

In the meantime please get your orders in. We will be promoting the cards via Facebook and Twitter soon and sincerely hope to sell all the cards as that would make a useful contribution to the cost of the GWF which survives otherwise only on donations and commission from ABE and Amazon.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be making quite a few trips to the post office. More orders received this afternoon - will hopefully be dispatched tomorrow.

Keith

and thanks for your support Shirley; and to everyone who has ordered.

I have just returned from posting the most recent orders.

Just to clarify a couple of things. I won't normally reply to PM's with order details until I have posted the cards, which will normally be within 2-3 days after which I will confirm posting by PM. For personal reasons the next batch are likely to be posted in a weeks time, that is on the weekend 15th/16th November. Please don't leave orders too late as Post Offices are already beginning to get busier and I hate queuing.

Keith

Guest Scottisheart

Hello from Canada!

I'm new to the forum, but would LOVE to order these Christmas cards. I realise they may not arrive before Christmas, but I don't mind. Are they still available, and if so, how do I go about placing an order?

Many thanks,

Kelly "Scottisheart"

Hello from Canada!

I'm new to the forum, but would LOVE to order these Christmas cards. I realise they may not arrive before Christmas, but I don't mind. Are they still available, and if so, how do I go about placing an order?

Many thanks,

Kelly "Scottisheart"

Kelly - send a message to Keith Roberts and he'll be able to help - you'll see a link to him in the first post of this topic, click on that then click on Send a Message - and thanks for your support

Alan

Kelly

If Keith cannot help you then please contact me - but I will not be able to post anything until next Saturday at the earliest.

Neil

Kelly. Posted a copy of my book "Not Forgotten" to British Columbia a few weeks ago and it took just 12 days to get there. Ralph.

The GWF postperson is back on duty. I'll be walking over to the PO shortly with this week's orders. I'll send Kelly a PM with details of postage to canada.

Keith

OK all orders up to today are now posted.

Edited by Keith Roberts
update

Now hear this. I'm having another week off in a few days, and time is running out for your orders. I'll be around for a few more days, and then Neil will cover during my absence, but if you are dithering, delaying or otherwise hesitating about placing your order, please just get on with it. Post Offices are already getting busier, and there is nothing to be gained by delay.

You know it makes sense.

Keith

In the meantime please get your orders in. We will be promoting the cards via Facebook and Twitter soon and sincerely hope to sell all the cards as that would make a useful contribution to the cost of the GWF which survives otherwise only on donations and commission from ABE and Amazon.

Keith

Hi Keith just placed order for 2 packs of xmas cards through pay pal thank you.

Just a check. This is the first time we have undertaken anything of this sort so we have been feeling our way.

We believe that all orders received to date have been dealt with and cards issued. If anyone who has sent a payment for cards is waiting to hear from us please get in touch. Donations (for which we are very grateful), sometimes arrive without a message so we just want to be sure that none of the recent ones were intended as payments for cards.

Perhaps this is also a good time to thank those members who made donations in addition to the card purchase.

Thanks all

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Keith/Neil.

Received cards yesterday, well pleased and many thanks to all concern.

Walter.