Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Live firing SMLE and Webley

flers1916

Section 44 1988 Firearms (Amendment) Act, criteria for Home Office Approval of a club, (extract)

" . . . . . the club does not have more than 12 guest days a year. Guest members must be either members of a recognised outside organisation or people who are known personally to at least one full member of the club;

guests must be supervised on a one-to-one basis at all times when . . . . . "

I am agreeing with you BH - pointing out that the law allows a club to have Guest Days (subject to a maximum of 12) - and that guests need not be club members.

However, if not personally known to a standing club member, guests do have to be members of some other (? ? ?) "recognised outside organisation".

Is this where confusion has arisen ?

The NRA Open Days are not run as club "Guest Days" but by special dispensation from the Home Office. That is why pre-booking is a requirement.

There is currently "no news" about the 2015 Bisley Open Day. (Official)

I suspect that the person from Membership was confusing the Open Day with the "Introduction" days. Not the same thing at all.

Edited by Beerhunter

• 2 weeks later...

PM if you are anywhere near Oundle as i am a member and they have guest days every month , I have a smile and no 4 i may be able to sort something out , I have recently been trying to stop a 1916 Luger being de act as it may have to come off a trophy of war ticket, been causing my local force a head ache.

Rich M

Good for you Rich M.

The problem with Lugers is that it is such a palaver to get Section 7(3) that only the best live ones are wanted by collectors. Second, most of us who want a live Luger already have one. I know dealers with lots of them. Plus of course deacts tends to be worth more than a live pistol or revolver. (Although, recently, the cost of deactivation is now bridging that gap.)

I would try to keep the trophy of war status. Are you prepared to say what the problem with that is?

yes , trophys of war have to remain in the family , my friend is not getting any younger so was thinking of the future family are not interested so that's not an option the sec 7(3) isn't an option as we only have his story which is not connected to anything we can find ie war diary or specific event , rather than his grandad nicking it of a German , so not sure what option he really has but I will keep trying

The problem is as you have stated a de act will be worth more which is ultimately perhaps the biggest problem, would be open to getting it to someone that could own it , to save it , any advice would be great even if only for my knowledge , it's not the first one I have tried to save, managed to get a wilkinson Webley to a museum who had a licence but then got it de act !!!!!!!!!

Rich M

Be awfully careful with museums. (I move in those circles.) They are all coming under various pressures over their firearms collections.

BTW, a Great War Luger automatically qualifies by age alone for Section 7(3) for most collectors.

Edited by Beerhunter

My new SMLE performed well on Sunday on Short Siberia! It may not be as accurate as the modern firearms, but they do not make you smile as much.

Reading this thread has whetted my appetite! I think I'll raid the work collection and take out a P08 and C96 if I can find some suitable ammn.

Oh, and yes I love my job!

Rod

Reading this thread has whetted my appetite! I think I'll raid the work collection and take out a P08 and C96 if I can find some suitable ammn.

How will you evade the law preventing the possetion of Section 5 firearms?

BH, By being in the military and firing at a certain establishment that holds not only an excellent museum, but a museum of working firearms for research and other purposes.

I still love my job! But need to find a supply of 9mm suitable for a steyr M1912, I need to do a cartridge comparrison between a normal semi-auto and the full auto varients. What an awful life I have to lead :thumbsup:

Rod

• 1 month later...

Further to my questions about the NRA Bisley Open Day I have had this reply form Andrew Mercer: "I can confirm we are not organising an open day on 2nd May 2015 - we will be hosting a number of guest days as alternatives; notice for these will be posted to our website in the New Year." In respone to my further question he said I could fire a 'live' SMLE or similar if I was the 'guest' of an existing member. So that is that then. I will try closer to home (Chorley, Lancashire) to see if there is a chance to fire a 'live' SMLE or similar at a local club.

• 2 weeks later...