Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daily Mail postcards

robbie

Hi all,

I am avidly collecting Daily Mail postcards. However, the more I get the more I realize that this could be a never-ending-story. How many series were there, and what were the names of each series? I have some from Battle Pictures, Offical War Pictures.

Robbie

Robbie,

This is only a 'never-ending story' if you go down the obsessive route my dad is going down...

There are 22 sets, strictly speaking.

However.... there are a few 'naming' issues, between calling them 'War Pictures', 'Battle Pictures' and 'War Postcards', printing this name on the front and back, just on the back, numbering the series using Roman numerals of Arabic numbers. My dad is trying to collect EVERY variation. If you want to go down this road, PM me and I'll send you the spreadsheet he uses to keep track...

Oh, then there's the Real Photo 'Regimental Series' - pretty rare, my dad has numbers 2, 4 and 6, so no real idea how many of these there are !

Good luck with the collection, which ever way you go !!

Jim

Thanks Jim. Typical of me to choose a "never-ending-series".

Robbie

Jim,

Does your Dad have "Anzacs in France" - Official War Pictures? Can't quite read the number - looks like 153 or 158. Could you please ask him whether there were mnay other Daily Mail postcards of Anzacs in these series?

Robbie

Robbie,

The two series with cards numbered from 145 to 160 are the 'Anzacs in France' themed cards. There are also odd cards from other series' with Anzacs in, numbers 40, 113 and 117, for example. You'll just have to collect all 176 to find out if there are any more....!!!!

All the best

Jim

Robbie,

The two series with cards numbered from 145 to 160 are the 'Anzacs in France' themed cards. There are also odd cards from other series' with Anzacs in, numbers 40, 113 and 117, for example. You'll just have to collect all 176 to find out if there are any more....!!!!

All the best

Jim

Thanks Jim. I have only 1 of them so lots more to find yet.

Robbie

Jim,

Got the file many thanks for the trouble you went to.

Robbie

Hi all,

I am avidly collecting Daily Mail postcards. However, the more I get the more I realize that this could be a never-ending-story. How many series were there, and what were the names of each series? I have some from Battle Pictures, Offical War Pictures.

Robbie

Robbie, I also collect Daily Mail cards, do you have ''Battle Pictures, No 76,

series x, The Worcesters going into action ?, it's just that i have this card twice so if you don't have it, let me know and i'll pop it in the post.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Nice to find another DM collector. No I don't have the Worcester card. How much do you want for it?

Robbie

YES PLEASE JIM.

Robbie

Can you PM the numbers and whether they are B+W or colour please?

Robbie