Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Abbreviation AJCS & SOP?

FlamingOnion

I'm trying to find out the meaning of some abbrevations from my Grandfathers service records - he was a photographer/observer with RFC/RAF and in 1918 he was marked as discharged sect xxv, but was imediately also marked as RAFR (reserve list ?) and promoted to 2 lt, sent first to "SOP" which I assume is the School of Photography, Farnborough seeing what his trade was

Then there is a movement order by "AJCS" to Lon Ph Cent which I think must have been the unit at Henrietta St (Covent Garden )- family history has it he had filmed the surrender of the German fleet at Scapa flow from the air and then finally left the RAF in 1919.

What was "AJCS" ?

Are there any records of the London Photo Centre?

• 8 years later...

Years later I picked up this trail and that is indeed correct, more handwritten records found in a somewhat florid style and on one service record was able to make out Art & I C Sch.

On 13/04/2023 at 00:54, FlamingOnion said:

Years later I picked up this trail and that is indeed correct, more handwritten records found in a somewhat florid style and on one service record was able to make out Art & I C Sch.

That's interesting. Am searching for records about what my grandfather did when he was seconded (?) to the RFC in 1916 for 4 months from the 8th Wiltshire regiment. Having been firstly a Bombardier in RFA am thinking he could have gone to the A & I C Sch but.. could be clutching at straws here 

May I ask where you found those extra service records ? Bundles are missing from my grandfathers WO339  file at Kew which holds many many gems but is actually marked on Index sheet  as "Destroyed in 1932"  written in blue pen .....

@MikeW any hope here?

In TrenchMapper we have a four part history of the aerial photography effort in the war, that explains some of the points raised here. It is under Help->Knowledge Centre-Aerial Photography and wass written by Tim Slater.

Howard

4 hours ago, Howard said:

In TrenchMapper we have a four part history of the aerial photography effort in the war, that explains some of the points raised here. It is under Help->Knowledge Centre-Aerial Photography and wass written by Tim Slater.

Howard

Thank you Howard. That's very interesting as grandfather was later in RNAS 2 Squadron and so involved in reconnaissance flights.

Just joined the Western  front association as had been planning to and the fact Trenchmapper is linked up to WFAwith some free downloads was a clear synche for me. 

Having just broken my brand new blender ( the jug is stuck and that is prior to its first blend even...)I am not feeling too clever right now so using the wonderful TM maps will be for another day. Dont want to break your website too. Glum face here .

Thank you though !

5 minutes ago, FionaBam said:

Thank you Howard. That's very interesting as grandfather was later in RNAS 2 Squadron and so involved in reconnaissance flights.

Just joined the Western  front association as had been planning to and the fact Trenchmapper is linked up to WFAwith some free downloads was a clear synche for me. 

Having just broken my brand new blender ( the jug is stuck and that is prior to its first blend even...)I am not feeling too clever right now so using the wonderful TM maps will be for another day. Dont want to break your website too. Glum face here .

Thank you though !

Pleased you joined the WFA, well worth it. TrenchMapper is the development from the Mapping the Front DVD project and has taken many thousands of hours to put together, all voluntary work.

It is now the largest repository of Great War maps available anywhere. If you have any trouble, get back to us, the site is under constant development.

Howard

1 minute ago, Howard said:

Pleased you joined the WFA, well worth it. TrenchMapper is the development from the Mapping the Front DVD project and has taken many thousands of hours to put together, all voluntary work.

It is now the largest repository of Great War maps available anywhere. If you have any trouble, get back to us, the site is under constant development.

Howard

Indeed it is. Attended my first WFA talk a couple of weeks ago. Excellent talk and met some lovely people there. The articles on WFA website are fabulous too arent they.

Wow. Well done you guys. It looks fantastic and I'll look forward to discovering some real gems there for me. Very  nice to know some help is there if needed. Smiley face .

Fiona 

On 21/04/2023 at 09:43, Howard said:

Howard

http://tim-slater.blogspot.com/2011/07/british-aerial-photography-and.html?m=1

Oh my this is excellent stuff! For anyone wanting more of Tim Slater's work than his very helpful summary on the Trenchmapper website 

Thanks again Howard!

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, FlamingOnion said:

That's  very interesting, some more rabbit holes to chase down! Thanks!

Ha ha! Enjoy it!