Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commemoration of Le Pilly in Herlies

Sherpamick

The town of Herlies, where Le Pilly is located, is commemorating the 2nd Batt Royal Irish Regiment and the battle around Le Pilly. This will take place at the end of October.

Key dates:

The exhibition "The ligne1418" is presented every day between 20 and 31 October

The "highlights" focus on the 24, 25 and 26 October:

-Friday, October 24 all day, we prepare the conference (working with historians, preparation simultaneous translation)
-Friday, October 24 at 19h, "Inauguration" exposure "of the photo exhibition.
-Saturday, October 25 in the morning, we start to discover the site of the Battle of Pilly (Hiking)
-Saturday, October 25 at 18h, conference simultaneous translation "Le Pilly - by Michael Desmond" see attached poster.

Regards

Sherpamick

affiche_v5_mail.pdf

Hi Sherpamick, My name is Ronan McGreevy from The Irish Times. I'm hoping to write about this anniversary and I'd be grateful if you could contact me. I'll send you a direct message. If you had any details in relation to Le Pilly I'd be most grateful. I'm also writing about the 2nd Royal Irish Regiment stand at La Bascule and have an interview with the grandson of Thomas Fitzpatrick in a supplement in our newspaper which will be published presently. Also if you had a contact number for Michael Desmond, I'd be grateful. Regards, Ronan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there. Its great to see that this tragic battle is being commemorated! Such little information seems to be available on the web about it! My great uncle David Arthur Lewis was probably there as he was in 2nd Royal Irish. (one of the lucky ones as he survived this,only to be killed on 3rd May 1915). From what I have read the remnants of the regiment after the battle were taken out of the action for a good while after this whilst they were being refitted. Many originals killed here. tragedy! I look forward to any information that you put up in future after this commemoration. Many thanks, Wikko.

• 3 years later...

Hi Lads,

I have transcribed the war diaries of the Royal Irish Regiment from August 1914 until just after Le Pilly and put it into PDF format.

It includes Fitzpatrick's account of La Bascule, maps, casualty reports, some excerpts from other regiments diaries, etc.

It's amazing reading.

Royal Irish Regiment 2nd Batt Aug - Oct 1914 (transcriptions).pdf