Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was he with the Indian Army in East Africa?

MaureenE

I have a family member John Flatman , who died in 1918 and is at the Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery.

His details from the CWGC website are:

Service No: 15427

Regiment/Service: Indian Railway Department

Iraq Railways (or Mesopotamian Railways (Grave Registration Documents))

http://www.cwgc.org/...3422/FLATMAN, J

John Flatman was born in India of parents with a British background, and as far as I am aware only lived in India.

I recently posted in the Medals Forum "No MIC – Mesopotamian/Iraq Railways-Indian Army” . For whatever reason, he does not have a Medal Index Card.

I recently learnt from a family member that John Flatman was in Nairobi, Kenya where he sent a post card dated 20 October 1915.

I have read “Indian Volunteers in the Great War East African Campaign’ by Harry Fecitt (bushfigher)

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-on-land/75-other-war-theatres/1072-indian-volunteers-in-the-great-war-east-african-campaign.html

I wonder whether John Flatman may have been with The North-Western Railway Volunteers, as his father worked for that railway (when it was called something different) as did some cousins. I can think of no reason why he would have been in Nairobi, apart from the Army, as to my knowledge he never lived in Africa. Perhaps he was on leave from the Army in Nairobi, or transiting from one area of hostilities to another.

The postcard appears to have been sent through the regular mail, not through an Army Post Office

There is an image of the postcard below- some of the buildings in the background are somewhat similar to Amy Barracks in cantonments in India. I thought if the buildings were Army barracks it might be an indication that he may have been staying in the barracks, in turn an indication he was there with the Indian Army

I know I am clutching at straws, but I cannot think of any records which would give an indication as to whether John Flatman was in East Africa withe the Indian Army.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers

Maureen

post-89827-0-55700300-1412150377_thumb.j

Maureen

Greetings

Four Indian Sappers & Miners Railway Companies came out to East Africa and worked on restoring wrecked German Railway Lines and on building and operating narrow-guage lines.

I also think that many Indian railwaymen came out to the theatre to man the increased number of trains that were run during the war.

The Army Post Office was not liked by European soldiers, therefore his use of the civilian postal service is believable.

Regards Harry

The date would coincide with the construction of the extension of Tighe's branch line of the Uganda Railway from Maktau to Mbuyuni/Taveta. which may be coincidental.

Roop

post-3925-0-12823900-1412827074_thumb.jp

post-3925-0-09442500-1412827095_thumb.jp