Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carriage of artillery by rail

RobL

Struggling to find information (or better yet photographs) of the British carriage of artillery pieces, especially in the UK. I assume it would be by flat (or single/two, maybe three at the most) plank wagons as long as there was entry wide enough to get them in, but do not have any evidence to support this. Especially interested in how the smaller pieces, ie 10 pounder mountain gun, 18 pounder, 4.5 inch howitzer etc

Thanks, Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi Jon, any luck at all? My search for photos and information has still come to nothing, anything at all appreciated if anyone comes across this

Rob, appologies for not getting back sooner...I had forgotten. However, search as I may I can only find the following pic on my PC, which IIRR came from the Sheffield Archives and shows guns leaving the Vickers Works in the Don Valley. I'm sure I have more pics but these must be hard copies in books that are stored away at present.

post-15439-0-99214600-1415017676_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

No problem, that's spot on - especially as it's larger pieces I'm struggling to find images for, thanks

Certainly does, thanks - I like the South Eastern & Chatham Railway wagon in the background, a long way from home!