Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Musketry Words of Command

rd72

HI all,

I am studying the words of command in use for target indications and this example came up form the 1914 Musketry Regs.

ScreenShot2014-09-30at104838AM_zpsc10c33

I would draw your attention to the phrase "At_____(elevation and deflection)"..... This is very interesting and stands at odds with conventional wisdom and, in fact, all other references to target indication in the manual....

Target indications at the time seem to be worded thus,..... "At the hedge left of barn (object),.... At 400 yds (range),....... FIRE (or RAPID FIRE)" but these have nothing to do with angles....

Does this confusing wording in fact mean "Range (elevation) and Windage (deflection)" This is what I tend to think it does, but why didn't they word it like that?

Does anybody have any observations or references that may clarify this confusing wording?

Cheers,

Rob

I seem to remember seeing a photo of an organised group of about a dozen men trying to shoot down an airplane with rifles. Would the command have been used in those circumstances?

Deflection in this case is used to overcome a side wind, an imaginary aiming point is used.

For example ;

"1200 ; Enemy's Right Column ; Aiming Mark, Right, Two Targets'Breadths ; Fire"

Elevation relates to sighting elevation.

This example is taken from Fire Orders, produced at the School of Musketry, Randwick, Australia, 1912.

clk,

No I don't think that it has anything to do with anti aircraft fire as it is taken from the musketry pam and is very much "basic" in nature.

Chris,

Thanks for the insightful response. I figured that it had something to do with windage (aiming off) ... I don't suppose that there is an online source for that document? Any chance of scanning or taking a photo of the relevant passages? I have found references to aiming off in the 1914 pam but there is no example of the words of command given.

Thanks very much,

Rob

Rob,

pm me.

Windage is an American term. Deflection is the British term.

At the time of the manual, the standard rifle's (SMLE Mk.III) back sight was adjustable for both elevation (range) and defection. The deflection adjuster was deleted with the introduction of the SMLE Mk.III*.

Edited by Beerhunter

Windage is an American term. Deflection is the British term.

At the time of the manual, the standard rifle's (SMLE Mk.III) back sight was adjustable for both elevation (range) and defection. T

Used for shooting at men who were deserting? :whistle:

Thank you all for your responses... I have since found a reference to "deflection", in the same vein as you mention Beerhunter. The article that explains how to set the wind gauge.....

ScreenShot2014-10-01at101459AM_zps0be8b7

Continuing the research...

Cheers,

Rob

Dear all,

I know that I was well off the mark (no pun intended!) with my suggestion, but for interest, does anyone know how infantry, with rifles, would have been instructed to target moving objects such as aircraft?

Regards

Chris

Dear all,

I know that I was well off the mark (no pun intended!) with my suggestion, but for interest, does anyone know how infantry, with rifles, would have been instructed to target moving objects such as aircraft?

Regards

Chris

By WW2 a drill had been to set sights at 600yds(?) and aim x aircraft lengths in front (IIRC relic rifles recovered from the sea at Dunkirk often still show this sight setting).

I assume that some similar drill would have been established towards the end of WW1.

By WW2 a drill had been to set sights at 600yds(?) and aim x aircraft lengths in front (IIRC relic rifles recovered from the sea at Dunkirk often still show this sight setting).

I assume that some similar drill would have been established towards the end of WW1.

Yes I believe the targets width method was used in WW1 too. I was for some years an instructor at the SofM successor School of Infantry at Warminster (Salisbury Plain) and often visited the small arms museum there, which had a collection of skill at arms manuals going right back to the formation of the School of Musketry at Hythe. Many hours of interesting reading, although I cannot remember everything that I read :blink:.

N.B. As late as the Falklands War we were still using rudimentary iron sights and targets width methods to lead off, together with 'observation' of 1-1 tracer, to engage aircraft. An old WW2 manual was also dusted off and brought up-to-date!

At a cadet in the '60s, I was taught GRIT - Group, Range, Indication, Type; as in "P'toon, 400, half right - left end of barn, 5 rounds rapid".

When was that introduced? It seemed to me so basic that I thought it must've been there for donkey's years.

Regards,

MikB

At a cadet in the '60s, I was taught GRIT - Group, Range, Indication, Type; as in "P'toon, 400, half right - left end of barn, 5 rounds rapid".

When was that introduced? It seemed to me so basic that I thought it must've been there for donkey's years.

Regards,

MikB

Before that it was DRINK - Designation, Range, Indication, Number of rounds, Kind of fire. The change to GRIT came with the early 1960s and the end of National Service.

Before that it was DRINK - Designation, Range, Indication, Number of rounds, Kind of fire. The change to GRIT came with the early 1960s and the end of National Service.

Regards,

MikB