Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ration box markings - Club?

clive_hughes

I recently saw a contemporary drawing of a ration party on the way to the trenches, date about late 1914, early 1915, Tommies carrying rum-jars and boxes/crates.

One soldier had a box on his shoulder, with a clearly-marked "Ace of Clubs" or maybe "Shamrock" symbol stencilled on the end. I recalled seeing something similar a long while back, but despite a bit of googling and image-searching, I couldn't find what the symbol stood for.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Clive

This marking was used to identify foodstuff. I have original WW1 Ration boxes with this marking in green and sometimes blue. Also printed on the cardboard boxes of 24hr Rations in later years. It may well still be used.

I recall a mention of this marking as applied to vehicles, presumably those earmarked specifically for carrying rations.

Regards

Tocemma

Here are two

WW2 Compo box

post-7141-0-65982800-1412024720_thumb.jp

1974 10 Man Ration Pack

post-7141-0-36939800-1412024910_thumb.jp

Thanks for posting that link druid_Ian, an interesting little booklet.

Clive

Interesting. "Commissariat Stores - green Trefoil"

it seems to have survived for ration packs for many years, but latterly in blue. How long did the other marks survive ?

• 9 years later...
4 hours ago, morrisc8 said:

This was for sale on epay. 

ww1 ration box.side.jpg

ww1 ration box.jpg

That was flagged up on a Facebook page dealing with fakes, and the general opinion was that is an original non-military box that someone has added the markings to in an attempt to take a box that's so damaged it essentially had no value and add £££'s...