Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minenwerfer mark

mtaylor

I have just seen a 17.5cm minenwerfer marked 'SMF Nr 5134 1917. The heritage centre in Campbeltown, Argyll has it in their local metal repair shop for restoration but apart from the barrel it's mainly rust. Two questions: does anyone know of another example in the UK outside the IWM? What does SMF stand for? I have seen 'Solinger Metal Waffenfabrik' but in the context of WW2 blades. This example is poorly documented but it is probably the war trophy presented t the town in 1919/20. It was apparently originally in the town centre but buy the 1950s was in the grounds of the local grammar school (it still had wheels then!).

post-173-0-08929900-1411898352_thumb.jpg

To answer my own query - thanks to Herr Herbert Jager - SMF = Sächsische Maschinen Fabrik

There's a very similar example at Fort Nelson, the Royal Armouries museum of artillery at Portsmouth. Recently restored (but with some bits missing) and rather over-enthusiastically painted in grey, but I think that's because it's intended for outdoor display. Fort Nelson would certainly be able to advise on restoration of the Campbeltown MW.

post-11021-0-22707000-1412013648_thumb.j

Minor quibble - the Campbeltown example appears to be the neue Art - the new model with longer barrel, whereas the Fort Nelson example appears to be the original alte Art with short barrel. Specs would differ, both for mortar and carriage.

See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:17_cm_mittlerer_Minenwerfer_neue_Art for museum and wartime photos of examples of the neue Art.

Also : http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canons/CanonsIndex_Nation.html : this website functions as a reasonably comprehensive listing of phptographs of surviving WWI artillery, but doesn't show the Fort Nelson example.

Rod

I'm sure that specs will differ, Rod. I think the Fort Nelson example is a 25cm Rheinmetall MW. Nevertheless, a national museum of artillery has recent experience of restoring a German medium MW and I think it would be well worthwhile for the Campbeltown restoration team to talk to them.

Thanks for the contributions- I'll pass them to Campbeltown

yer right, the Fort Nelson beast appears to be the 25 cm, there are several visual givaways (such as cutaway in cradle side (if that's what it's called), rivet positions, rounded rather than square front of cradle, etc.Should be able to patch it up it they know how it's supposed to look.

John - I guess it is. The story I heard was that it was originally in town centre at the Victoria Hall, then at Grammar School and was rescued from a dump at the town cemetery. Your info would indicate how it got there. Did you see it? Don't suppose there's a photo?

Mike