Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munitions Works in Gloucestershire

jimmyjames

I read with interest the thread on the munitions works in Middlesex. The attached photo, from a local newspaper in June 1917, shows Cheltonian ladies "doing their bit at a big filling place in Gloucestershire".

I would be most grateful for any help in identifying this large filling factory.

Regards

Jimmy

Jimmy

Lister's at Dursley made and filled shellcases and their fuses with female labour during WW1.

Dave

Dave

Many thanks. Did'nt think of looking so far south.

Regards

Jimmy

Jimmy

National Filling Factory No:5 was built north of the railway line in Naas Lane, Quedgeley. Most of it was demolished in 1924 with the eastern part of the remaining buildings becoming G.H.Mayo Cider & Fruit Merchants and the western part becoming part of the RAF station. The eastern part was later acquired by Dow-Mac Concrete Ltd., which in 1963 opened there a factory making precast concrete railway sleepers

The munitions factory is shown on the map mentioned below.

OS Map 1/2500 Glos XXXIII 10,14 (1923 Edn) held at Gloucester Record Office Ref DC/H8

Dave

What a coincidence...my great aunt served in National Filling Factory No. 5 at Quedgeley, Gloucestershire. My family were locals in the Quedgeley/Redmarley area and they lived there for many years before the war. Many of them still reside in the area. I have a detailed newspaper article (from the local paper I think but not dated) on the factory including some photo's of 'Munitionettes' including my great aunt.

It was established in October 1915 on the land of Colonel Curtis Hayward at Manor Farm. The site was 200 acres with about 250 mainly wooden buildings. There was a connection with the main line of the nearby railway. The chairman was John Steinitz and the general manager A. Glyn Watkins. Major William Stoyle was the Ordnance officer in charge. Output began in 1916 and 5500 women and 700 men from the areaworked there for the wage of one pound per week and a weekly return rail ticket from Cheltenham, Gloucester or Stroud. Those who worked in the factory could sometimes be identified by their yellow hands and faces caused by TNT dust. Each worker was required to advise a policeman they were clear of any matches etc. when they arrived for work. Over 10 500 000 shells, 7 000 000 cartridges, and 23 500 000 fuses and other components were produced by the end of the war.

Rgds

Tim

Jimmy

The right-hand bottom corner of this photo may be of interest. If you place your cursor over it you will reveal mapped details below.

Dave

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?clie...14170〈=&db=