Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devlin mystery

Desmond7

Can't find anyone matching these details on CWGC. Yet, he's on town war memorial.Also tried MICs for any matches. No success.

Any ideas? SDGW?

Des ... hopefully :(

Private Samuel C. Devlin

Mrs. Mary Jane Devlin, 11 James Street, Ballymena, was officially informed on Saturday last that her son Pte. Samuel

Cromwell Devlin, Royal Irish Fusiliers, was killed in action on 12th October 1916. Private Devlin was at the front

during the last four months and he enlisted shortly over a year ago. Prior to joining he was a farm servant. he took

part in quelling the recent rebellion in Dublin. Pte. William J. W. Devlin, Royal Scots, another son of Mrs. Devlin, has

been at the front over a year and was once wounded.

Ballymena Observer November 10, 1916.

hello des, there is no man listed of that name but(there's always a but!). i found this-

pte henry james cromwell k.i.a. 12/10/16 1st r.ir. fus

born ballymena

lived harryville

reg. no. 21647

enoch

Enoch and Mark - my hat comes off to both. Bound to be the guy. James Street is in Harryville!

Consider yourselves MIDs!!!

I can think of no other .. was it common for mother to re-marry and then 'pin' her new married name on a son from previous marriage? Still doesn't explain the 'Samuel' though. However, date and unit are right ....

Des :D

First of all, my apologies for bringing this back to the top. I realise lots of people have 'soldier tracing' enquiries, but I have some questions which experienced 'hunters' may be able to ask:-

1. The War Memorial and associated listings definitely state 'Samuel C. Devlin' as KIA.

2. The newspaper obituary and picture reinforce this.

3. Yet he cannot be found under the relevant date/regiment in CWGC or SDGW.

Thanks to Enoch and Mark I now have a man with the same 'middle' name, living in the same area, dying on the correct day with the correct regiment.

He is Henry James Cromwell. He appears in CWGC and SDGW.

Could a local newspaper have got an obituary SO wrong without correcting it in following issues?

One more thing - Samuel Cromwel; Devlin's place of residence is given in the obit as James Street, Ballymena.

James Street 'runs onto' Henry Street ..... note the potential connection to 'HENRY JAMES' Cromwell .... if anyone is still following me, is it possible we have one man with his address and surname being mixed up by a clerk?

Or do we have two men with one being 'missed' by CWGC?

I'm sure many Memorial researchers have been plagued by this sort of thing. Advice ... pointers?

Thank you for the time.

Des

Hi Des,

Mu Grand Uncle William Glennon of the Dubs was killed on the same day as Devlin. He was killed in an action outside les Beoufs, I think the Royal Irish Fusiliers were also in this action. I have some pictures of the ground taken Last month on my trip over there if you would like.

Regards

Ross,

des, i had the same problem with one of my local men, pte samson gideon hill m.m. of the 4th worcesters, i couldn't find him in the 1901 census.i found him listed as gideon s. hill, he enlisted outside the rowley regis area aged 17 or under!!

so i imagine he swapped his names around so he couldn't be caught.

another possibly is like a relative of mine! he used another (relatives!) name to enlist because of having a criminal record!

enoch

Cheers folks - all worthwhile and thanks for the picture offer Ross. I'd love to see them.

These things are sent to try us ! But if it was all straightforward, it wouldn't be half as much 'fun'

I do of course use that word in the widest possible sense!!!

Once again, many thanks.

Des

And another great wee yarn arrived with me this morning. Posting on that one soon!

• 7 months later...

OK - found this. Missed it first time round.

It may explain some things ...

Pte. W. G. WILSON

Mrs. Devlin 11 James Street, Ballymena (same address as above) has received official information that her SON, Pte. William G. WILSON, Royal Scots (is this the correct name for the brother named in the original obit?) has been wounded in action. He has been at the front for nearly two years and was wounded before. His BROTHER Pte. Samuel Cromwell Devlin, Royal Irish Fusiliers, was killed in action in October 1916.

This piece from newspaper of August 24, 1916.

Thus has mother married thrice? First time to Wilson? Second time to Cromwell? and third time to Devlin?

Does W.G. Wilson retain his father's name; does Samuel later dump the Devlin and clerical error is possibly to blame for 'Harry James' forenames?

And one last little poser ...

post-1582-1118779975.jpg