Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.S.M. / W/O.1 (Temporary) Arthur Bainbridge, R.G.A.

gavin

Hello all,

I am new to this 'what Grandad did in the war' malarky, but good god is it addictive!!! A while ago i managed to seek out my maternal Grandfathers war record....well some of it, enough to alay some of my Mothers, and uncle Freds curiosity on the pages i gave them to read. A certain William Henry Holdstock tried in vain to enlist at the age of 16 and was told to 'come back next year' so a few months later at a different recruiting office he was enlisted as William Henry Murrell, (taking his step-fathers name) taken on to the listings of the 1st South Staffordshire regt. (I don't have the dates with me at the moment) he then 'jumped ship' to the fledgling Royal Flying Corps where his antics earned him a Military Medal, for what we have no clue!! But back to the reason of this post.

My paternal Grandfather Arthur Bainbridge was a member of the Royal Garrison Artillery (T.F) at Seaham and then Hartlepool before the war, his enlisted date of attestation is 20/04/1912 at the age of 21 years and 4 months, we know that he got on the ship a corporal at Southampton 18/04/1915 and set foot on French soil a Sergeant (acting) on 19/04/1915 but the trail goes cold from there till his promotion to W/O1st class (Regimental Sergeant Major, (temporary)) on 28/04/1917 I have copies of documents but what puzzles me is that there are three 'dog tags' with THREE different service numbers the first regimental number is 1122 which is crossed out and the number 760170 written above. i have tried to upload some papers that i have but all i get is upload skipped file too big. The third number is not readable on the pictures i have, i can find no mention of any specific battery/unit that my Grandfather served in/with save for the line in document ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form-Active Service stating that on the 14/11/1915 He was attached to G.H.Q 3rd Echelon effective 19/11/15 signed O/C Bde. I would love to find out more about both Grand-fathers but particularly R.S.M. Arthur Bainbridge R.G.A..R.F.A.. My family was fortunate in the respect that both men returned from the the war with only Sgt Murrell being slightly wounded having part of a finger removed by one way or another.

It would please me greatly if one of the members could find anything else on either man

thanks, Gavin.

P.S. amongst the papers i have is a form 'list H.B.2. list of clothing to be in possesion of troops of the expeditionary force dated 13/10/1916 with the number and name of 6011 (poss. 6017) Gnr Hollywood this document appears to have blood stains on it and we have always wondered what became of Gunner 6011 (or 6017) Hollywood and how my Grandfather came to have it in his possesion.

I for one will be eternally grateful for the bravery of so many

P.S. amongst the papers i have is a form 'list H.B.2. list of clothing to be in possesion of troops of the expeditionary force dated 13/10/1916 with the number and name of 6011 (poss. 6017) Gnr Hollywood this document appears to have blood stains on it and we have always wondered what became of Gunner 6011 (or 6017) Hollywood and how my Grandfather came to have it in his possesion.

I for one will be eternally grateful for the bravery of so many

A lot of records have dark stains on them, I believe most were down to the water damage when the fire brigade doused the fire after the archives were bombed. The bombing also explains the mixed up records as they were thrown back together quite quickly and often became mixed up.

Craig

My paternal Grandfather Arthur Bainbridge was a member of the Royal Garrison Artillery (T.F) at Seaham and then Hartlepool before the war, his enlisted date of attestation is 20/04/1912 at the age of 21 years and 4 months, we know that he got on the ship a corporal at Southampton 18/04/1915 and set foot on French soil a Sergeant (acting) on 19/04/1915

That would match the date of entry to France of the 50th (Northumbrian) division so he may have gone over with them.

Craig

his numbers relate to an original Territorial number [1122] with new series later [760170] which would relate to a Northumbrian RFA? territorial unit [which fits with his Hartlepool origins] .. 252 or 317 Brigades RFA I think

The unit based at Seaham was the 3rd (Northumbrian) Brigade RFA and there was a Battery at West Hartlepool. The Durham RGA was based at Hartlepool.

The date of entry into France is consistent with the 50th (Northumbrian) Division of which the 3rd (Northumbrian) Brigade RFA were part of the Divisional Artillery.

In 1917 the Territorial Force introduced a new numbering system, hence the new number 760170. This number is in the block allocated to 252 Brigade RFA which was formerly the first line 3rd (Northumbrian) Brigade RFA.

Gavin,

Do you, or a member of your family, have your grandfather Bainbridge's medals? These will have his rank and numbers engraved on them. The medal index card (MIC) differs slightly from the ranks/appointments that you have given for his disembarkation in France. Posting the papers you have may help. They need to be below 250kb to attach.

Kevin

A lot of records have dark stains on them, I believe most were down to the water damage when the fire brigade doused the fire after the archives were bombed. The bombing also explains the mixed up records as they were thrown back together quite quickly and often became mixed up.

Craig

the form in my possesion was foun in my grandfather personal effects when my father and his brothers cleared the family home when my grandparents passed away. they did nit come from any archive the papers we have are originals from the battlefield

gavin

His MIC also has the number 338744 (RGA TF), which looks like it belongs to the block allocated to the Durham Fortress RGA.

Russ

Hi Russ,

The family has no knowledge where or what happened to arthurs medals, we had looked in vain for his M.I.C. but amateurish fumbling on our part failed to find it, how could we obtain a copy and from where?

• Admin

To get his MIC, you can either:

Download if from The National Archives - I think it costs about £3.50

Download it from Ancestry - which I think is free for MICs now (not sure - check it out). If not, and you don't want to subscribe, you can access Ancestry at your local Library and print it out there.

I can't find J Hollywood in SDGW - if someone can it should state where he was born, resided and enlisted - from that it might give a clue to a connection with your GF

TNA: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_col=200&_cr1=WO+372&_q=%22bainbridge%22+AND+%28%22338744%22%29

Ancestry: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=MedalRolls&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=arthur&gsln=bainbridge&dbOnly=_F00061C3%7c_F00061C3_x%2c_F8007A65%7c_F8007A65_x&_F8007A65=338744&uidh=hbo&pcat=39&fh=0&h=182244&recoff=9+10&ml_rpos=1

Russ

i also looked up 'Granda Pops' M.I.C. to see if i could find out how he got the M.M. but his card seemed to have very little info on it, any ideas chaps on futher seekings

Gavin,

If you at least post Army Form B.103 there is a chance that you may have missed something. If you now have grandfather Bainbridge's MIC you should have noticed that his rank in the RGA was Sgt. (AC). This has been incorrectly noted by the Nat. Archives as acting, but is actually an appointment meaning "Artillery Clerk". Temporary appointments should have ceased being used after May 1916 and wasn't reintroduced until 1919 for the Army of Occupation. I would put his transfer from RFA to RGA around Sept. 1917.

Good luck with your research.

Kevin

Gavin,

If you at least post Army Form B.103 there is a chance that you may have missed something. If you now have grandfather Bainbridge's MIC you should have noticed that his rank in the RGA was Sgt. (AC). This has been incorrectly noted by the Nat. Archives as acting, but is actually an appointment meaning "Artillery Clerk". Temporary appointments should have ceased being used after May 1916 and wasn't reintroduced until 1919 for the Army of Occupation. I would put his transfer from RFA to RGA around Sept. 1917.

Good luck with your research.

Kevin

thanks kevin,

i have a copy of his warrant to the rank of w/o first class R.S.M), i would post the papers i have but they are in files too big to post here. on his de-mob form w5065 his rank is stated as R.S.M. with the regt. no.338744. on the 28/04/1917 he was posted to 42 dvn. ra

If not mentioned previously ... A Bainbridge appears in the Dec 1918 Army List as appointed temporary/WOI- Serjeant Major - Artillery Clerk - 21 August 1917 [in batch of 14 such appointments..]; he does not appear in May 1917 Army List as a WOI, so that April 1917 date cited may be an error ... in some way

post-7621-0-03689600-1411765683_thumb.pn