Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Bill Stuart, DSO

LneryRHA

This officer served in the Great War, he enlisted in1906 as a Gunner, Corpl 1913 and Sergt 1914, in France 1914. Commissioned and by May 1918 A/Maj.; wounded (gun shot to head) in kantara, Egypt, 25/2/1918 and invalided to UK. Awarded DSO 1919.

In November 1919 he embarked for Basra, Iraq and served with 8 Bty R. Aritillery until March 1920 in Iraq, when he was posted to Civil Authorities and appointed Commandant of Gendarmeries at Tel-Afar. On the 3rd June a party of Sharifan Officers and men at the head of 300 Shgamman Jara tribesmen attacked the town, sacking the government offices and killing all there including the British Officers (Bill Stuart) NCO’s and crews of two armoured cars.

Punitive expedition dispatched and arrived on 9th June and found the town almost deserted.

This maybe connected with the action involving the Manchesters at Hillah.

Any information would be helpful.

if it helps

First name(s) Bill Last name Stuart Service number 40936 Rank Sergeant, Lieutenant, Major Corps Royal Field Artillery Service record Soldier Number: 40936, Rank: Sergeant, Corps: Royal Field Artillery Service record 2 Rank: Lieutenant, Corps: Royal Field Artillery Service record 3 Rank: Major, Corps: Royal Field Artillery Archive reference WO372/19

LneryRHA: Attached below is what I have on Bill Stuart, DSO, RFA. May I ask what your interest in him is? Regards, Dick Flory Major Bill Stuart, RFA

Distinguished Service Order (George V)

1914 Star with bar (40936 Sgt., R. F. A.)

British War Medal (Major)

WW1 Victory Medal with M. I. D. (Major)

General Service Medal with clasp “Iraq” (Lieut., R. F. A.)

D. S. O. LG 3 June 1919

M. I. D. LG 7 July 1919

Stuart was born on 2 September 1890 in Landport, Plymouth, Hants, the son of Mrs. E. Stuart of Camel Green House, Aldershot, Salisbury. He was educated at the Duke of York School and attested at Newport, as a Gunner (Regimental Number 40936) in the Royal Field Artillery on 1 January1906. He was appointed as a Gunner to 105th Battery, 22nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery on 29 January1906 and earned a 3rd Class Educational Certificate on 15 March 1907. Stuart was granted a Good Conduct Badge on 1 January1908 and was promoted to Paid Acting Bombardier on 3 June 1908.

On 24 April 1911 he was promoted to Bombardier and on 11 May 1911 he was posted to 106th Battery, 22nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. He went to South Africa with his unit on 5 September 1912 and was promoted to Corporal on 11 May 1913. On 19 September 1914 he returned to England and was promoted to the rank of Sergeant on 24 September 1914. He went to the front on 6 October 1914 and served during the retreat from Belgium and the first battle of Ypres.

On 13 January 1915 he returned to England and after training at an Officer Training Course he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery on 14 January1915, “for service in the field” after serving in the ranks for 9 years and 13 days. He served with ‘D’ Battery, 77th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery and was a Temporary Lieutenant from 17 August 1915 to 7 August 1916. He embarked from Southampton on 26 April 1917 and landed in Alexandria, Egypt with ‘A’ Battery, 44th Brigade, R. F. A. on 1 June 1917 and from 28 April 1917 to 19 June 1917 he was Officer Commanding of the battery. From 12 July 1917 to 12 December 1917 served as a Temporary Captain and was 2nd-in-Command of ‘A’ Battery, 44th Brigade, R. F. A. from 12 July 1917 to 24 August 1917 and of ‘B’ Battery of the same brigade from 25 August 1917 to 8 September 1917. He became Officer Commanding of ‘B’ Battery, 44th Brigade, R. F. A. on 9 September 1917 and on 13 December 1917 he was sent to a field hospital suffering from neurastheura.

After recovery, he was assigned to the General Base Depot on 30 January1918 and was posted to 424th Battery, R. F. A. on 16 febuary 1918. On 25 February 1918, he suffered a gunshot wound to the head at Kantara and on March 1918 he was invalided to the United Kingdom from Alexandria on the Hospital Ship Kalyan. Stuart joined 77th Brigade, RFA on 30 May 1918 and was posted as Temporary Captain and Officer Commanding D Battery of that brigade. On 24 August 1918 “2nd Lieut. D. T. Wood, A/77, wounded on F.O.O. duty. He lay for 8 hours in no-man’s land until brought in at 7pm by Capt. B. Stuart, D/77 and Lieut. R. E. Ingraham, A/77. Unfortunately he died on reaching the field ambulance; on 28 August 1918 “Captain Stuart of D Battery, 77th Brigade, RFA got back a 77mm gun, which he had man-handeled from no-man’s land the night before.” Stuart was wounded in October 1918

He was gazetted for the Distinguished Service Order in the London Gazette of 3 June 1919 and his insignia and warrant were sent to General Officer Commanding, Southern Command, Salisbury on 14 July 1920. In the London Gazette of 7 July 1919 he was Mentioned in Despatches.

On 5 November 1919 he embarked on the Steamship Coconada at Tilbury and landed at Basrah on 11 December 1919. From then until 16 March 1920 he served with 8th Battery, R. F. A. in Iraq. He was posted to the Civil Authorities, Baghdad on 17 March 1920 and on 19 March 1920 he was appointed Commandant of the Gendarmie at Tel-a-Far. Tel-a-Far, a town of 8000 inhabitants was picturesquely situated on four knolls, two on each side of a deep gulley where a stream rose which supplied the inhabitants with water. The houses were solidly built of stone and included the political officer’s house, his office, and the barracks of the Gendarmie which occuppied the summit of one the knolls on the northern side of the gulley. The approach to the barracks from the gulley traversed a narrow lane between the houses and was so steep that only a vehicle in perfect running order could make the ascent.

At the end of May 1920 vague reports were received that a force of Sherrifian troops estimated at 500 strong were approaching Tel-a-Far with the intention of raising the Arab tribes and attacking Mosul. Major Barlow, the political officer at Tel-a-Far, reported his anxiety over the attitude of the local Arabs. Outwardly the town and the surrounding country side appeared peacefully and normal, but Major Barlow was firmly convinced that a rebellion was imminent and that an Arab government was to be established in the near future.

A meeting of all local Arab leaders was held in Tel-a-Far on the night of 2nd/3rd June 1920 which was addressed by an ex-Turkish Army officer, who stated that a large Sherrifian force was approaching the town and invited his audience to co-operate either by joining the force personally or seizing Tel-a-Far in the Sherrifian interest.

Early on the morning of 3 June a party of tribesmen arrived at Tel-a-Far. At this point the townsmen rose and the Genardmerie Officer, Captain Stuart, was shot by one of his men as he was making his rounds. On 5 June, a punitive column of all arms under the command of Colonel G. B. M. Sarel of the 11th Bengal Lancers was sent out and it reached Tel-a-Far on 9 June and found the town practically deserted. The bodies of the killed were sent to Mosul.

A communique from the Civil Commissioner, Baghdad, dated 7 June 1920 reported “that a party of Sharifan officers and men at the head of some 300 Shamman Jarba tribesmen attacked the town of Tel-a-Far, 40 miles west of Mosul on 3 June, sacking the government offices and killing all government officials there, including Major J. E. Barlow, DSO., MC, the political officer; Lieut. B. Stuart, R.F.A., the Gendarmerie Officer; Mr. A. V. Walker, the Gendarmerie Instuctor; and Private 32287 W. R. Lawlor, 7th Hussars. The inhabitants of the town appear to have connived at the outrage, though positive information is lacking. It appears that the crews of two armoured cars who visited Tel-a-Far from Mosul on 4th June were also captured and murdered. A punitive column should reach Tel-a-Far on 8th June. Major J. E. Barlow was aged 26 and had earned the D. S. O. and M. C. in the field in France. He commanded the 22nd Manchesters in Egypt from May 1919 to October when he joined the Civil Administration. He was an officer of great physical strength and activity, of noted courage, who had already shown marked aptitude for political work. Lieut. Stuart was aged 31, and had joined the civil Administration only two months ago after distinguished service in the artillery.”

He was buried in Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetary. His sister, Mrs. Monger, a head nurse, lived at Downham Market, Norfolk. He had an elder brother, W. Stuart and a younger brother, R. Stuart. Probate records indicate that he was also known as Edwin Newton Monger. He left an estate of £536 to his widow, Annie Monger.

Sources:

Army Lists

London Gazette

Medal Index Card

Officer’s Papers (WO339/22683)

The Times, 12 June 1920

OMRS Journal, Autumn 1992, pages 184-191

Distinguished Service Order, 1886-1923

History of Strange’s Royal Artillery, 1848-1958

CWGC Commemorative Record

The Insurrection in Mesopotamia, 1920

War Graves of the Empire, Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetary)

rflory:

Many thanks for the information on Maj Bill Stuart, DSO, which has filled in a few gaps in his service history. I have his IGSM bar Iraq and hoping to reunite the rest of his medals if they are around. He served throughout the Great War only to die in Iraq 94 years ago and we are still there.

Our soldiers have had a tough time these last couple of years.

LneryRHA: I thought that you might have his GSM bar Iraq as I am aware it was for sale by DNW and later by Rennie Alcock. Stuart's BWM was on sale on eBay in 1998 but I have not seen any of his other medals for offer. Dick Flory

With reference to post # 3 from Dick Flory, what a superb reply !

You can post an enquiry and almost immediately, some very helpful member, as in post # 3, takes the time to send back such a most comprehensive reply, full of amazing information.

A very interesting read, and a nice example of what is so good about this Forum.

LF

• 5 years later...
On 25/09/2014 at 05:47, rflory said:

LneryRHA: Attached below is what I have on Bill Stuart, DSO, RFA. May I ask what your interest in him is? Regards, Dick Flory Major Bill Stuart, RFA

Distinguished Service Order (George V)

1914 Star with bar (40936 Sgt., R. F. A.)

British War Medal (Major)

WW1 Victory Medal with M. I. D. (Major)

General Service Medal with clasp “Iraq” (Lieut., R. F. A.)

D. S. O. LG 3 June 1919

M. I. D. LG 7 July 1919

Stuart was born on 2 September 1890 in Landport, Plymouth, Hants, the son of Mrs. E. Stuart of Camel Green House, Aldershot, Salisbury. He was educated at the Duke of York School

DIck, I have recently chanced on your excellent bio of Bill Stuart and this has prompted me to finally set up an account.  I am currently looking for Old Boys of the Duke of York's Royal Military School who were missed from the FWW memorial tablets in the School Chapel.  There are 230 names so memorialised but so far we have found at least 50 that have been missed and Bill Stuart/Edwin Newton Monger would appear to be one of the 'Lost Boys'.  Did the confirmation that he went to the school come from his service record?  Edwin was at the school from 1899-1902 along with his brother Llewellyn William Monger who fell in 1918 and is already remembered on the memorial tablets as one of the 230.

Do you also have any further information on why he changed his name, beyond Stuart being the surname of a step-father?

AN Dukie:   Bill Stuart's attestation papers and also his Statement of Service indicate that he attended the Duke of York's School   Edwin Newton Monger is listed in the roll of students at the school in the 1901 Census. According to the Royal Military Asylum records his parents were Edwin H Monger and his wife, Annie.  He was still using the name of Edwin Newton Monger when he left school in 1902, but when he attested to the RFA on 1 January 1906 he was using the name Bill Stuart and listed his next of kin as "Mother E. Stuart," "Elder Brother W. Stuart," and "Younger Brother R.  Stuart."  Interestingly his date of birth on the Royal Military Asylum records is 22 Sept 1888 and on his service papers as 2 Sept 1890. 

On 15/07/2020 at 12:34, AN Dukie said:

DIck, I have recently chanced on your excellent bio of Bill Stuart and this has prompted me to finally set up an account.  I am currently looking for Old Boys of the Duke of York's Royal Military School who were missed from the FWW memorial tablets in the School Chapel.  There are 230 names so memorialised but so far we have found at least 50 that have been missed and Bill Stuart/Edwin Newton Monger would appear to be one of the 'Lost Boys'.  Did the confirmation that he went to the school come from his service record?  Edwin was at the school from 1899-1902 along with his brother Llewellyn William Monger who fell in 1918 and is already remembered on the memorial tablets as one of the 230.

Do you also have any further information on why he changed his name, beyond Stuart being the surname of a step-father?

I second AN Dukie's comments on an excellent piece of work on Bill Stuart. I am working with him in the same group although I am currently focussed on the old boys of the Royal Hibernian Military School and specifically hunting down lads that were not included in the 82 inscriptions on the school's memorial in what is now St Mary's Hospital Dublin. So if anybody comes across a 'Hib' in their research I wouldn't mind getting to know about, in case it is someone we missed. We have found at least 10 Hibs who died in the Great War but were never recorded as former RHMS pupils.

13 hours ago, rflory said:

AN Dukie:   Bill Stuart's attestation papers and also his Statement of Service indicate that he attended the Duke of York's School   Edwin Newton Monger is listed in the roll of students at the school in the 1901 Census. According to the Royal Military Asylum records his parents were Edwin H Monger and his wife, Annie.  He was still using the name of Edwin Newton Monger when he left school in 1902, but when he attested to the RFA on 1 January 1906 he was using the name Bill Stuart and listed his next of kin as "Mother E. Stuart," "Elder Brother W. Stuart," and "Younger Brother R.  Stuart."  Interestingly his date of birth on the Royal Military Asylum records is 22 Sept 1888 and on his service papers as 2 Sept 1890. 

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Both Edwin/Bill and brother Llewellyn were 'Detained on pass' when they left the school on the same date, so some circumstance of life caused him to drop his given name.

Would you be able to share a copy of his attestation papers/statement of service with me please?  Once we have completed our list of names we intend to present them to the School to have the names added to the memorial tablets and his attestation papers/statement of service would be useful supporting evidence of him being a Dukie.

Furthermore, can I ask if you hold any service records for Thomas John Moss MC, 307th Bde RFA, killed in action 21.03.18?  Newspaper reports state him to be a Dukie also, but we cannot locate him in the RMA records, so am hoping his officer records may hold the confirmation we need to add him to the memorial tablets as well.

AN Dukie:  I would be happy to scan and send you copies of Stuart's attestation papers and statement of service but they are to large to post here.  Please PM me your email address and I will email them to you.

BQMS Thomas John Moss was promoted "for service in the field" and eventually reached the rank of Major with the MC and two mentions in dispatches but I do not know whether he was ever a Dukie.  His service papers are available at The National Archives under WO 339/11252 and would probably indicate his schooling, but as they are not yet digitized one would have to visit the archives to view them or hire a researcher to copy them.

You are a gentleman - thank you.  I'll PM you my email and appreciate your assistance.

If we are successful in having Bill's named added to the memorial tablets at the School, we will report back!

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/07/2020 at 11:39, rflory said:

Would you be able to share a copy of his attestation papers/statement of service with me please? I noticed that Dukie asked for a copy, I can send you my email.

I am still trying to trace the BWM sold in 1998 on EBay. also the 1914 Star and Victory.  It took 30 years to reunite three groups the medals where in three countries.

LneryRHA:  PM me your email address and I will be happy to send you the scans I sent to ANDukie. Did you purchase the IGSM for Stuart from Rennie Alcock?  I saw it on his list a few years ago.  As you know, Stuart's BWM sold on eBay in 1998 but I have never seen any sales of his DSO, 1914 Star and VM 

Reunites are always nice but it never ceases to amaze me how parts of broken medal groups end up in such distant countries.  I have been lucky enough to make some 40+ reunites over the last 40 years and they have come from all over the world.

I see your forum name is LneryRHA. Do you collect to the Royal Artillery?

Regards,  Dick Flory