Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to find service records?

Chenhalla

Attached IS A COPY of a photo of my grandfather, Sidney (sometimes Sydney) George Flower. He was born in February 1900 in Clutton, Somerset. This photo of him in service uniform seems to indicate that he was in the Devonshire Regiment, and that he was a Marksman and Lewis Gunner (thanks to those in this Forum who got me this far). Can't make out the Shoulder Titles but I guess they must say "Devon"?

I've searched the Medal Rolls, but can only find one reference to a Sidney Flower in the Devonshire Regiment. He is listed as Private 202611 Wiltshire Regiment and Private 205143 Devonshire Regiment. However, this service number is also linked to a cemetery record at Queens Cemetery, Bucquoy, died 21 August 1918. Since my grandfather lived until 1967 this clearly can't be him.

I've also been told that the aiguillette on his right shoulder may be the Regimental Croix de guerre awarded to the Regiment for its defence of Bois des Buttes on 27 May 1918, the first day of the Third Battle of the Aisne. If so, that would presumably date the photo to after that date?

Since I can find no other likely medal card match, I guess he may have joined too late for active service? If anyone can point me in the direction for further research, I'd be very gratefull.

post-115631-0-92814000-1411395459_thumb.

Welcome to the Forum, Chenhalla. If he was born in February 1900, there is every chance that Sidney did not see active service in the Great War - he was too young. As such he would not qualify for the campaign medals and would not appear in the index. The photo may post-date the war.

Do you think there is any possibility he was still serving by 1922? If so his service record is likely to be held by the Ministry of Defence.

Chris could well be right. The other thing to bear in mind is that he might have served OS with another regiment. In 1918 a lot of 18 year olds in training were rushed to France. They often ended up drafted to other units from Infantry Base Depots as reinforcements.

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks all for that. He was certainly not in the services in 1922. He got married in that year, and his occupation is listed as gardener. It had occurred to me too that if he was only called up on his 18th birthday in February 1918 he might not have completed service training in time to go overseas, hence the lack of medal records. It certainly begins to look that way.

Just one further thought. If the Aiguilette is the Regimental Croix de guerre, presumably the photo was taken after it's award. I know it was awarded for an action that took place in May 1918, but I would guess that the award took place some time later. Does anyone know whether or where I could find out either when it was awarded or when the Devons started to wear it on their uniform?

I've just found part of the answer to the question above. The French Croix de Guerre with palm was awarded to the Devonshires on 5 Dec 1918. I'd still be interested in knowing how quickly thereafter it was included in the uniform dress, but it looks as if the photo must have been taken after December 1918.