Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire Regiment

John_Hartley

I've been correlating information from local newpaper obituaries which have reported when a man enlisted into a Cheshire Service Battalion ( so that I might use the info to determine roughly when others enlisted). I've been able to identify 75 men and have cross-referenced this to their service number. I'm confident of the information below and offer it for the help of any Pals interested in the Cheshires.

Service No. Enlistment

10*** Aug 14

11*** Aug 14

12*** Aug - Sep 14

13*** Sep 14

14*** Sep 14

15*** Sep 14

16*** Sep 14

17*** Oct – Nov 14

18*** Nov – Dec 14

19*** Dec 14 – Apr 15

20*** Dec 14 – Apr 15

21*** Dec 14 – Apr 15

22*** Dec 14 – Apr 15

23*** Dec 14 – Apr 15

24*** Dec 14 – Apr 15

25*** May – Jul 15

26*** May – Jul 15

27*** May – Jul 15

28*** Aug – Dec 15

29*** Aug - Dec 15

30*** 1916

40*** 1916

50*** 1916

John,

Thanks for taking the time to list the results of your research. I only have one Medal to the Cheshire Regt in my collection, but I have now been able to add another bit of information to his file.

Regards

Gavin

• 3 weeks later...

I was interested to see your lists - my grandfather joined the Cheshires apparently in 1916 under the DErby scheme having served with the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.

Do you know where I might be able to find any other info as his service records were destroyed?

Many thanks

Hi John, :)

A great bit of research. It has given me some great information. Many Thanks.

Very Best Wishes

Tim.

Suzy

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you find it fun and useful.

Have you checked out the mother site to this Forum (click on the Long Long Trail link top of this page). Then have a read through the "Grandads War" section. It will tell you what's possible to find out. You should also be able to download his Medal Index Card from the National Archives website (it'll cost you £3.50).

Are you looking for any specific sort of info? Please come back and post and specific queries you have. There's a couple of us with specific interests in the Cheshires and other in the Shropshires.

John

My Grandfather enlisted in the cheshires 9th November 1914.

His Service Number was 2667.

This seems to be at variance with your list that shows service numbers 26** series being from May to July 1915.

David

John,

Thanks for your reply. I have seen Frederick Hillhouses' Medal Index Card and I have learned that from the Cheshires he then served with the Shropshires. I am intrigued as to why he then served with them having seemingly joined the Cheshires earlier in 1916. I would also like to establish where he served on the Western Front.

Thanks again

Suzy

Suzy

The most likely reason for the transfer is that he had a period out of action due to a wound or sickness. When he was ready to return to duty, he would have been sent to the unit most in need of troops.

To identify where he saw action, you'll need to identify which battalions he was in in the Shropshires and Cheshires. If you havnt got this from the Index Card, then yuo'll need to find the Medal Rolls or his service papers at the National Archives at Kew. The "Grandad's war section will have told you about how to do this.

Once you have the Battalions, you'll be able tog et some historical information from the mother site (under "army units"), or, even better, both Regiments publsihed official histories which your local library should be able to order for you.

John

• 5 months later...

I don't know if you have this John. I have him as Pte. W.Barber Joined R.N. Lancs August 6th 1914; transfered to Cheshire Regiment; wounded in right lung during retreat from Mons. Discharged medically unfit August 27th 1916. Died of consumption April 3rd 1918 aged 33. Regards Steve.

Could you tell me which Battalion Pte/Cpl Stephen F Coonan (63277) was in please

No way of knowing from the number, Joe. Sorry. You might try downloading his Medal Index card from the National Archives website. It'll cost you £3.50. Not always guaranteed that it's on it though.

John

This seems to be at variance with your list that shows service numbers 26** series being from May to July 1915.

David.

It isn't really. John's list applies to Service battalions only. Regular battalion and TF numbers don't correlate to listings such as this. The number you supply strikes me as a TF number.

Dave.

Steve

Nice piccie. Where is it?

John

Dear John It's in Hornchurch. Believe it or not I tripped over him on wednesday. You couldn't tell from the pic but it's very overgrown there. Regards Steve.