Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plaque ID

zephyr4

I have a Death Plaque named to SYDNEY SNELL. I have search the c.w.g.c site but I cannot find a match, can anyone give me any information how I can find out more about this plaque.

Thanks z4

Guest Pete Wood

Sometimes, the soldier did not give his full christian names when enlisting.

Name: SNELL, SYDNEY ROBERT

Initials: S R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/09/1917

Service No: 204545

Additional information: Son of Richard and Elizabeth Snell, of Laughterton, Lincs; husband of Mary Ann Wilkinson (formerly Snell), of 4, Albert Terrace, Albert St., Ventnor, Isle of Wight.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXV. G. 23.

Cemetery: TYNE COT CEMETERY

This soldier is listed, on SDGW as simply Sydney Snell. Enlisted Forfar. Residence Newark on Trent. Cause of death - Died.

The next of kin often gave the CWGC additional information.

Plaques were also issued to soldiers who died after the CWGC cut-off dates. So just because you can't find a name on the register, doesn't mean much.

Mistakes by the records offices and the plaque factories are also far from uncommon.

But I think the above is probably your man - and I'm envious, as he has an Isle of Wight connection.

:)

Thanks for the infomation. I bought the plaque from an antique fair and knew nothing about plaques I just liked it in its wooden frame so I bought it.

What does SDGW stand for.

Guest Pete Wood

SDGW is Soldiers Died In The Great War - a large number of volumes containing details of a soldier's place of birth, place of enlistment and (vague) cause of death - ie died (illness disease or natural causes) or died of wounds, or killed in action etc. Now available on CD-Rom (though it isn't cheap).

If you look at Snell's medal index card, it only gives his one christian name http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=27

I will add the plaque but should I put the full name and regiment as above or just Sydney Snell,I will have to find a magnifying glass as I cannot make out the number inside the lions legs.