Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lee metford 1888 bayonet

Hanniballector

1st Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry, very nice - and no reissue marks of any kind!

Nice 1918 Remington M1917 too.

Cheers,

Tony

Yeah bit of a mess up on the up loading lol. Yes your absolutely correct with the Durham light infantry. The Remington p17 has provenance was originally owned by a mr George Bernard jones. I've been given a photo of him and sum basic details about him, but no information on his service history. The scabbard is jewell 1918 and blade by remmington. Don't know what M.S on the metal part of the scabbard stands for and 25 on the blade near the flaming granade ?

Thanks

Thanks

The 25 is the inspector's number. M.S. is the subcontractor that made the chapes and lockets for Jewell, don't know who it is but I have several Jewells all marked with M.S. - the chape is tiny just under the staple. The Graton and Knight scabbards have GF marks on the chapes and lockets.

Cheers,

Tony

Is it me or just my laptop? All I can get when clicking on the link is a full page shot of the P1888 and its scabbard.. :(

Just checked and there isn't one... :( Maybe I'll try again later on another box

Go on then, how much do you want for a bayonet from my familys local regiment? ;)

Nice bayonet btw mate :)

Aleck

As you probably know, the Model 1917 bayonet with the 1918 date on the ricasso is a stamping error variation.

Instead of stamping the blade with ' 1917 ' being the Model Year number, in error, the blade was stamped with the then year date of ' 1918 '. Hence, a Remington Model 1917 bayonet with a 1918 date stamped on the blade. Once the error was spotted, it was corrected, and it is not known how many bayonets were stamped with the ' 1918 ' error date, and it is assumed that not too many were produced, so they are scarce.

A nice variation of have in your collection.

Regards,

LF

No I was not aware of that and find that quite interesting . It's apparently been in this family for two generations and the blade is still razor sharp ! As I said their was some pictures and history about the fella that came with it and a commando knife that looks to be from ww2 although not a fairbairn ! However i haven't bought it a yet .

Thank you.

Hi Hanniballector,

Most of these Model 1917 bayonets came to Britain from the US during WW2 and were issued to the Home Guard with the rifles that came as well. It is common to see them for sale still with the leather frogs that the HG used. I assume that many HG personnel didn't hand them back, hence their availablity. Not sure of the procedures to hand weapons back in, but you would have thought the rifles would be accounted for thoroughly. Actually, thinking about it, were the rifles and bayonets kept at home by all HG???

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Hanniballector,

I believe there were some highly trained units in the HG, and they were taught hand-to-hand fighting, but this is not an area in which I have any special knowledge.

The model 1917 bayonet will fit 2 rifles, the US issue M1917 in 30-06 calibre (used by the HG in large quantities), and the British issue P14, in store after WW1, in 303 calibre. The bayonets in store in the UK before WW2 would be the 1913 pattern for the P14, then all the M1917's came over as part of US help for the war effort. Can't see the commandos having weapons in 30-06, but guess they could have had P14's.

Best to start with the guy's service record and then piece together what weapons his unit could conceivably have used.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tranjan

Did you have any luck in the end viewing the pics ?

Thanks for asking! Not yet... I'll try again tomorrow and if necessary will send you a PM!

Trajan