Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lunch near Zonnebeke

delta

Trying to sort out a trip to the Salient in the Spring and am looking for a place where 24 could have lunch near Zonnebeke. Any suggestions?

thanx in advance for your help

That was our only problem when we visited the Passchendaele Memorial Museum last Sunday-there was nowhere in Zonnebeke itself for sixty kids to get a drink or a snack. One smallish bar was open, but there wasn't even one of the normally ubiquitous chip wagons. Perhaps you might consider going to the very nice-looking cafe attached to the Passendale Cheese factory just outside town. I haven't eaten there but it seems verey popular.

Delta

De Volksbond is over the road from the Museum in Zonnebeke and I think its retaurant bit could just fit in 24 people. There is a bar area as well so you could definately all get in there in some way or other.

Neil

You right mate,

The Volksbond is kinda restaurant. Nothing fancy but good hounest kooking and more then enough. Can fit 24 people. Friendly service. and prices are very fair dinkum. :P

Had a hardy meal myself there so can recomend it.

coo-ee

patrick

Delta took a coach load of 27 around the Salient in March found same problem.Easiest solution for us was just to drive back into Ypres at lunch time and allow everyone an hours lunch break. Its not far away if you have transport.

• 1 month later...

g"day all

Just to comment...had a talk with the lady inkeeper of the volksbond in zonnebeke. Opposite the Paschendaele memorial museum, and.........behold??? :o the volksbond can accommodate 120 people in one time...please warn her in advance. So i think any busload can have their belgium lunch there :lol: .

coo-ee

Patrick