Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Bat. The Essex Regiment - 1888 Bayonet - Reissue marks

msdt

This is my most prolifically marked 1888 bayonet, to the 3rd Battalion of The Essex Regiment. As well as the 'Manufacture Date' of August 1891, it has 6 'Reissue Marks': 96, 99, 00, 02, 04, 07.

Following recent posts, I have given some thought as to bayonet marking terminology, and have decided for now to stick with 'Reissue Mark'. I think that this term (or the similar 'Reissue Stamping') is reasonably understandable. It distinguishes itself from the 'Manufacture Date', and 'Acceptance Marks' applied at the beginning (on the right ricasso), and in effect approves the bayonet for further use (reissue) following an inspection during which repairs or modifications may have been carried out.

I have retired my use of 'Oil Hole' for the correct one of 'Clearance Hole' on the grounds that 'Oil Hole' can potentially mislead people as to the hole's function. Trajan 1, Tony 0.

Any feedback gratefully received as to these marks. Here we have a 3rd battalion training regiment based near to London. Just done some Googling and it seems that the 3rd Essex may have served in the Boer War of 1899 - 1902 as it was classed as a Militia Battalion at that time - would like to find out more re this period. Of course there is the question as to when the 3rd actually received this bayonet.

Cheers,

Tony

post-22051-0-99823900-1410902783_thumb.j

post-22051-0-53849100-1410902799_thumb.j

post-22051-0-49882100-1410902810_thumb.j

post-22051-0-95203800-1410902820_thumb.j

post-22051-0-88068700-1410902832_thumb.j

This is my most prolifically marked 1888 bayonet, to the 3rd Battalion of The Essex Regiment. As well as the 'Manufacture Date' of August 1891, it has 6 'Reissue Marks': 96, 99, 00, 02, 04, 07.

Following recent posts, I have given some thought as to bayonet marking terminology, and have decided for now to stick with 'Reissue Mark'. I think that this term (or the similar 'Reissue Stamping') is reasonably understandable. It distinguishes itself from the 'Manufacture Date', and 'Acceptance Marks' applied at the beginning (on the right ricasso), and in effect approves the bayonet for further use (reissue) following an inspection during which repairs or modifications may have been carried out.

I have retired my use of 'Oil Hole' for the correct one of 'Clearance Hole' on the grounds that 'Oil Hole' can potentially mislead people as to the hole's function. Trajan 1, Tony 0.

Any feedback gratefully received as to these marks. Here we have a 3rd battalion training regiment based near to London. Just done some Googling and it seems that the 3rd Essex may have served in the Boer War of 1899 - 1902 as it was classed as a Militia Battalion at that time - would like to find out more re this period. Of course there is the question as to when the 3rd actually received this bayonet.

Cheers,

Tony

Nice bayonet and even nicer markings! Must have taken a while to work out?

I would go along with your choice of terminology - 'reissue marks'. As you note, they do imply some form of inspection and so in a sense form a 'reissue mark' like a MOT certificate... :thumbsup:

As for the 3rd Batt. Essex Regiment in Boer War, a quick google produced this at:http://www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/16-other-information/1843-mentions-in-despatches-army

" Essex Regiment (3rd Battalion)-Captain B R A D Stoddart MacLelIan (21st Mounted Infantry); in action at Zwartruggen, September 7, leaving the remainder to hold enemy in front, led eight men up a donga to within 200 yards of position, charged it, and captured six men and horses."

Don't have time to follow up and he could be on detached duty but it'll give you a start! :whistle:

Julian