Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

48th Prisoner of War Coy. Labour Corps

MotherMave

Name: Walter Barlow

Service No: 241940

Date of Death: 28/10/1918

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment 3rd Bn. 5353, transf. to (564013) 48th Prisoner of War Coy. Labour Corps

Can anyone tell me what this soldier would have been doing in France, was he guarding German prisoners of war at Rouen? What were theri duties. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance - Mavis Williams

I have found a reference to a Labour Corps soldier being sent to a POW camp in the UK. I had assumed that it was to assist with the usual Labour Corps duties perhaps to do with building or maintenance of the camp. However I have no evidence for that.

R.

Thank you for your swift reply, I know that the 5th Bn of the Cheshire Regiment (Territorials) were guarding our local detention camp at Queensferry, Flintshire in 1914, but this was in France and 48th Prisoner of War Coy, Labour Corps. Does anyone know who they were? Thanks again - Mavis

• 4 years later...
On 13/09/2014 at 22:59, MotherMave said:

Thank you for your swift reply, I know that the 5th Bn of the Cheshire Regiment (Territorials) were guarding our local detention camp at Queensferry, Flintshire in 1914, but this was in France and 48th Prisoner of War Coy, Labour Corps. Does anyone know who they were? Thanks again - Mavis

Hello Mother Mave,

Did you ever find out anything more about this? I have recently discovered that my grandfather was

a) in the Labour Corps

b) guarding prisoners of war at Rouen in August 1918

so I'm very interested if there was a specific prisoner of war Company